Generic filters

Keeping a handle on your tenants’ waste can be challenging, especially when you are not living at the property. However, as the owner of the building, it is your responsibility to ensure tenants have the correct information, suitable bins and waste storage facilities and to contact your tenants if concerns are raised regarding their waste storage or presentation of waste.

Check the tenants have the right bins

  • Rubbish bins containers (black): The standard container provided is a 140L bin. However, there are different allowances for larger households and Houses of Multiple Occupants (HMOs), so be sure to check with us if what you have seems unsuitable. Flat fronted properties also have the option to present their rubbish in bags. The standard allowance is three bags per household. We can provide stickers if the household qualifies for a bigger allowance.
  • Recycling containers (green): every household should have at least a recycling box or bin. We want to encourage residents to recycle everything they can, so we are always happy to provide larger/additional recycling containers. If the recycling bins at a property are heavily contaminated on a regular basis, it is the landlord’s responsibility to find alternative methods of dealing with the waste.
  • Food waste caddy (grey): If the property is in one of the food waste trial areas, please check that they have a small caddy for their kitchen and a bigger caddy to keep outside for collection.
  • Garden waste bin (brown): This is an optional service provided by our partner Biffa for a monthly fee. Contact the Green Waste Club if you would like to set up the service.

Important: Bins cannot be stored on the pavement outside of collection days. You must ensure your tenants have a place on your property/land to store their waste.

Give the tenants the right information when they move in

Giving tenants the information on the right way to dispose of their waste is particularly important if they come from outside of Portsmouth. You should provide them with the following information:

The information can be found on our website, but we can also provide leaflets and bin stickers if you contact us.

How to dispose of waste

If you need to dispose of bulky waste or a build-up of rubbish, you must ensure it is done in a legal manner via a licenced waste carrier. You can run a licence check for your chosen waste carrier on the DEFRA website.

The Council runs a bulky waste collection service in partnership with our waste collection contractor Biffa. Contact us if you would like a quote.

Another option is to use the trade waste chargeable service at the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC). If the waste is not produced by yourself, it is regarded as trade waste and cannot be disposed of at the HWRC for free.

To use this option, you will first need to register as a waste carrier. Once you have your waste carrier licence, you can book a slot at the HWRC and notify the staff on arrival that you have trade waste to dispose of. They will take your details (including your waste carrier licence details) and payment whilst on site. For more information, visit Business, commercial and trade waste | Hampshire County Council

Contact us

The Waste Team can advise and support with all the above. Landlords as well as residents can contact us on 023 9284 1105 or