Coronavirus: council service information and advice
Information about changes to council services as a result of coronavirus
Home safety is a free service that offers advice, home safety and security checks, and small maintenance works to make your home safer to live in.
We also offer a handy person service for odd jobs around the home at very competitive rates. These services are available to Portsmouth residents (PO1-PO6).
Handy person service
Dripping tap? Shelves need putting up? Ever wish you had someone to help with odd jobs around the home?
Our new handy person service at Portsmouth City Council could be just what you need. We can undertake a range of odd jobs and in some instances provide basic materials too.
- Plumbing - replacing taps,washers and fixing dripping taps
- Installing shelves, curtain rails,grab rails and key safes
- Changing locks
- Building flat pack furniture
- Changing lighting accessories
- Raising plug sockets and replacing broken sockets
- Cleaning out single storey gutters
- Adding telephone extensions
Please phone us on 023 9283 4460 or 023 9283 4675 for a competitive quote.
Costs (including 20% VAT)
- £24 for the first hour
- £12 for every half-hour after
- Materials purchased for the job will be included in the final price
Homesafety is available for all, whether you are a council tenant, private tenant or homeowner.
Children under five-years-old
We can visit your home and check it for child safety hazards, as well as provide advice and safety equipment such as:
- Cupboard and fridge locks
- Non-slip bath mats
- Corner cushions for furniture
- Door stoppers to prevent children trapping their hands
- Door and window locks
- For a small charge we can also supply and fit safety gates and fireguards
Safety equipment is not a substitute for parental supervision - children must be kept away from dangerous objects and situations.
People over 60 or physically disabled
We can check the safety and security of your home, offer advice and do repairs to make your house safer, including:
- Fixing a loose carpet
- Changing plugs and fuses to make your electrics safe
- Fitting door bolts, chains and extra locks to make your home more secure
- Raising electric wall sockets to make them more accessible
- For a small charge we can also supply and fit grab-rails, chair raisers and key safes
Visits are free of charge. There may be equipment charges depending on the job.
Draught-proof your home
The Home safety team also offers draught-proofing free of charge for homes in Portsmouth where someone is over 60, under 5 or has a disability - it doesn't matter whether the house is owned or rented. Draught-proofing is one of the most efficient ways to save energy and money - we can supply and fit draught-proofing materials for doors, windows and letterboxes.
To arrange a free Home safety visit please email the team at email@example.com, or call 023 9283 4460.