The register office can provide a copy certificate for a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death that occurred within the city of Portsmouth. You will need to provide the following information:
- certificate type: marriage, civil partnership, death or birth*
- name or names the certificate applies to
- date and place of the event
- any other relevant information that may help us to locate the certificate
* There are two types of birth certificate. The full birth certificate shows all names, date and place of birth, parents' full names and occupations. For a passport application a full birth certificate is needed. A short birth certificate is also available, which shows full name, sex, date of birth and registration district of birth.
For events that have been registered less than 8 weeks ago; please contact the Register Office before requesting a certificate as a reduced fee may apply
Ways to apply
- Online - complete the online form to request a certificate. We will telephone you for payment once the entry has been searched for and found. This may take up to 5 working days depending on which service you have requested.
- By email - download and complete the relevant application form from the list below and email it to email@example.com. We will telephone you for payment once the entry has been searched for and found.
- By post - print off and complete the relevant application form below, and post it to us with the required fee. Cheques or postal orders should be made payable to Portsmouth City Council. Overseas applicants are asked to send a cheque drawn in pounds sterling.
- In person - print off and complete the relevant application form below and bring it to the Register Office. Payment can be made by debit/credit card or cash.
We cannot issue a certificate until we have received payment. For events that have occurred recently a reduced fee may apply.
Standard service per certificate £10
Either collected from the register office or posted Royal Mail second class post within five working days.
Priority service per certificate £25
Either collected from the register office within 24 hours, or posted Royal Mail first class post within 24 hours. Priority Service fee is £10 for the certificate and £15 for searching and issuing the certificate as a priority. This means if we cannot find the entry, we will only refund the £10 certificate fee.
While you wait service per certificate £30
Your Certificate will be issued while you wait or on the same day. Please note: applications must be submitted by 1pm to receive same day service.
Postage & packaging
A fee of £1 p&p applies - or you can send a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your application.