It’s essential that you check the register entry for accuracy when registering a birthdeathmarriage or civil partnership. You will need to pay a fee for us to consider a correction.

How do I apply for a correction?

You’ll need to complete an application form and you will need to prove that the information given at the time of the registration was wrong. The original documents that show what the correct information should have been will need to accompany your application.

These will be returned to you once we have taken copies. Depending on the nature of the correction, you may need to submit your application to the General Register Office for their consideration. You will be informed by the registrar if this is the case. The registrar will advise you when you apply if you need to make an appointment and what supporting documents you will need to submit.


You will need to pay a non-refundable fee of £99 for us to consider corrections. You will also be required to purchase new certificates. Certificate fees start from £12.50 each.

How do I request a correction?

Contact the Register Office to request a correction.