Generic filters

Reduced service operating

Council collections are operating on a reduced service. Please visit the coronavirus large household collections page for the latest service updates.

This page tells you what you can do with bigger household items that can’t be recycled or taken with your normal rubbish collection.

Items such as armchairs, beds and large kitchen appliances can’t be put out with your normal collection. So, what do you do with these items when you no longer need them?


If your family or friends do not want the items, there are other options you can look into before it becomes waste:

  • donate it to charity – some offer free collections, try Sue Ryder, the British Heart Foundation, and DEBRA
  • offer it online through FreecycleFreegle and other online market place apps or advertise it in a local shop or free ad newspaper.
  • sell it to a local second hand furniture company.

Port Solent Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC)

Larger household items can be taken to the HWRC, where certain items can be sold on for reuse if in good condition. Please ask a member of staff on arrival at the site about where to place the item.

Some items are restricted and chargeable including:

  • Plasterboard
  • Asbestos (need to book in advance)
  • Rubble
  • Soil
  • Ceramic sanitary ware including sink basins, pedestals, bidets and toilet cisterns.

More information regarding charges and the HWRC

Larger household items – Council Collection

If none of the options above are practical, then Portsmouth City Council will collect larger household items from your home and dispose of it in the correct way.

Council collections are operating on a reduced service. Please visit the coronavirus large household collections page for the latest service updates.

Please be aware, we can only collect items on ground level and easy access to the road e.g. forecourts. We will not collect from inside the property or from back gardens.

The cost of a collection starts from £30 (payable in advance). If you wish to cancel your collection, please contact us before lunchtime the day before your scheduled collection day for a full refund. Contacting us later than this may result in no refund or a part-refund.

If you are a Portsmouth resident in receipt of Council Tax Support (CTS) you can get one free collection per year. To qualify, you will need to provide proof that you get Council Tax Support either by showing us your award letter or by giving us permission to check your records online.

For free collections, we will only take a maximum of two square metres away – this is roughly the size of a two-seater sofa or a washing machine and armchair. For collections of more than two square metres, there will be an additional charge and payment will be asked for at the time of booking.

Free collections take place on a Tuesday.

To get an estimate, quotation or to book a paid or free collection call 023 9284 1105.

Please refer to the Coronavirus – large household item collections page for further information on what we can and cannot take away.

Where does it go and what happens to it?

Bulky items are sent to Warren Farm transfer station in Fareham. Materials are then either recovered for recycling (e.g. metals) or sent to a Solid Recovered Fuel (SRF) facility, which shreds items and produces fuel pellets – this helps us to divert waste away from landfill. The remaining materials which cannot be recovered or sent to the SRF facility are then landfilled (2018/19 – 4.2%).

Householder responsibility

Householders have a duty of care to ensure their waste is disposed of legally and safely. It is your responsibility to check that anyone taking waste away from your home has a waste carrier’s licence. They should give you a written notification of how they will be disposing of your waste.

This means that, if you ask a ‘man with a van’ to dispose of your DIY rubbish or the contents of your old shed, and he subsequently fly tips it or disposes of it illegally, you are responsible. You could be taken to court and fined up to £5,000. Protect yourself by taking reasonable measures to check that your household waste is passed on to an authorised person.