Generic filters

Apply for an older person's bus pass (first-time applicants only)

This page gives you information about older person’s bus passes in Portsmouth, including how to apply for or renew a pass, or what to do if your pass is lost or expired. It will also advise you on what proof of eligibility you will need.

We are offering eligible people a companion bus pass to encourage independent living, provide free transport to help reduce social isolation and encourage the use of sustainable transport.

You can also find information about disabled person’s bus passes.


You can apply for an older person’s bus pass if you have reached the state pension age. You can check if you are eligible by using the state pension calculator. You can apply online one calendar month before your date of eligibility.

Apply for a bus pass

You can either apply for an older person’s bus pass online or in person at the Civic Offices.

To apply for a pass, you will need to provide:

  1. proof of age (such as a birth certificate, a passport, a driving licence, or a medical card),
  2. proof that you live in Portsmouth (such as a council tax bill, housing benefit, rent book, tenancy agreement, electoral registration or utility bill),
  3. your national insurance number, and
  4. a passport-quality colour photograph. Your photograph must show your head and shoulders only, without headgear (except on religious or medical grounds), front facing and alone.

We will post the pass directly to you, which can take up to 10 working days.

Travel with your bus pass

These passes can be used on local buses anywhere in England in accordance with the local authority’s scheme. From 1 November 2023, the Portsmouth scheme provides free travel during off-peak times (9am to 11pm, Monday to Friday), and all-day on weekends and public holidays. The bus pass doesn’t cover travel in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Travel before 9am

From 1 November 2023, there is a trial in which Portsmouth City Council issued older persons bus pass holders may travel before 9am, for journeys starting in Portsmouth, with proof of a medical appointment at either Queen Alexandra Hospital or St Mary’s Community Health Campus. The trial will run until 31 March 2024.

If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback on the trial please email

Renewing your bus pass

If your bus pass is expiring in March 

If your address, circumstances or appearance have changed since you last received your bus pass, please contact us or send us your new details via our online form.

We automatically issue older person’s concessionary bus passes before they expire, so it is important we have the right information. You do not need to contact us if nothing has changed.

If your bus pass has expired and your new one hasn’t arrived, please contact us

Lost, stolen or damaged bus passes

There is a £10 administration fee, payable in advance, to replace a damaged, defaced or lost pass. The fee is not refundable if the lost pass is later found. Lost passes will be cancelled and therefore cannot be used if found at a later date.

To pay the £10 fee and request a replacement bus pass, you can either:

  • submit our online form, or
  • pay the fee over the phone with a debit or credit card by calling 023 9268 8575 between Monday and Friday, 9am-4pm (closed bank holidays). Once we have received payment the replacement bus pass will be posted to you within 10 working days.

If your pass is stolen, please report the theft to the police and obtain a crime reference number. This number will enable us to issue a replacement card without charge. We will also replace any cards which have a technical problem for free. Please contact us if your pass is stolen.

Changing your address

Whether you are moving within, out of, or into Portsmouth, please contact us to let us know your new address or send it to us via our online form.

If you have moved into Portsmouth and are currently using a previous authority bus pass, you will need to apply as a new customer with us.

Contact us

For more information, you can contact us by: