For up-to-date information and latest changes to services and opening times – please visit our dedicated coronavirus service updates page.
Stray dogs can cause many problems such as causing serious road accidents or biting a child, as well as being stressful for the owner of the lost dog.
Our kennels team assist the public by taking in or collecting stray dogs that are found in Portsmouth, they assess the dog’s condition and care for them in our modern kennels facility until contact with the owner can be made. Most of our dogs are successfully returned to their owners, but if no owner comes forward then we also work hard to re-home the dogs in our care.
For dog-homing information, news and more, give our Facebook page a like.
Dog Kennels opening hours
If you have lost your dog call 023 9268 8181. Our dog kennels are at Great Salterns Farm on Burrfields Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5HH.
It is always best to call ahead, but if you would like to visit the kennels, please let kennel staff know well in advance, as due to the nature of the job they are not always in the office.
- Monday 9am – 4:30pm
- Tuesday 9am – 4:30pm
- Wednesday 9am – 4:30pm
- Thursday 9am – 4:30pm
- Friday 9am – 10:30am, 12:30pm – 4:30pm
- Saturday 9am – 1pm, 2pm – 4:30pm
- Sunday 9am – 1pm, 2pm – 4:30pm
If you find a stray dog, contact us on 023 9268 8181 .If we are unable to answer – leave a message and we will call you back. You can take stray dogs to the kennels during opening hours, or kennels staff may be able to collect strays (subject to staff availability).
Outside of kennels opening hours, if you have found a dog or lost a dog in the Portsmouth area you can call the out of hours team on 02392824244. For all other matters please call the kennels staff during opening hours.
To reclaim your dog if it has strayed
Dogs can be collected during normal opening hours subject to staff availability. We charge an initial payment for collection and kennelling of the dog, which will then increase per night that the dog remains in the kennels. This fee must be paid in cash before we release your dog to you.
- £58 for the first 24 hour period
- £22 for each additional day (or part day)
Offer support to the dog kennels - be a dog’s best friend
Many of the dogs we take in need extensive rehabilitation and vet care. To keep our long-term residents warm and comfortable, we need your help.
- Donations – you can pledge single or monthly amounts. 100% of your donation will go towards helping the dogs in our care. Make a single donation online or please email email@example.com to set up a monthly donation to the kennels.
- Sponsorship – sponsor a kennel for just £10 a month, and you’ll be featured on our ‘Friends of the Kennels’ board, as well as receiving regular updates about kennel news and events throughout the year
- Walkies – volunteer to walk one of the dogs we have in the kennels and discover the joy of a walk with a canine companion. Please call us to join our volunteers scheme.