Moving between children’s and adult’s social care and health services is often called transition.

Life as an adult is different to life as a child. It’s important that you and your family have the right information at the right time, to make sure you’re prepared for adulthood.

Planning for the transition

From year 9 at school, if you have an education, health and care plan (EHCP), you’ll be encouraged to start thinking about your future plans, such as:

  • what jobs you might like to do when you’re an adult
  • your options for education or training
  • where you might want to live, and how to be as independent as possible
  • your hobbies and interests, and other ways to meet people
  • staying healthy (getting exercise, managing your doctor and dentist appointments etc.)

These are known as your “preparing for adulthood outcomes”.

How do I move to adult services?

If you’re receiving support from early help or children’s social care, your allocated worker will ask your permission to make a referral to adult social care.

You can also make a referral yourself – this is called self-referral. You can do this by contacting adult social care on: 023 9268 0810.

Once you have been referred, someone from adult social care (such as a social worker or occupational therapist) will talk to you to understand the support you need and what you want to achieve. We’ll help you think about how you can meet your goals and what support would help. In adult social care, this is called a care needs assessment.

There are many different teams who can help people with different care and support needs like:

  • learning disabilities,
  • autism,
  • mental health, and
  • sensory needs.

If you’re eligible for support, we’ll then check whether you need to pay any money for your care and support. This is called a financial assessment. If you’re not eligible for funding, we can give you information and advice to help you.

More information about moving between children’s and adult services is available on the Portsmouth Local Offer website.

You can also contact the adult social care helpdesk for advice on: 023 9268 0810.