There’s lots of support for adults with learning disabilities in Portsmouth.
The Kestrel Centre is home to the Integrated learning disability service (ILDS).
We support people with a learning disability who are over 18 and live in Portsmouth. Our team can help with both health and social care needs, including:
- activities such as day services and volunteering
- housing and accommodation
- making changes in your life so you feel better and stay healthy
- keeping healthy by making a health action plan
- if you feel sad, frightened or find life difficult
- with your medicine
- to communicate
- look at what you find easy and what you need help with.
The team is made of:
- a psychiatrist
- community nurses
- social workers
- healthcare support workers
- occupational therapists
- a speech and language therapists
- a psychologist
- a physiotherapist
- and an administrative team.
We work closely with GPs and hospitals. Two of the nurses are based at Queen Alexandra hospital as ‘hospital liaison’ nurses. They can liaise with other services and agencies on your behalf.
If you think the Kestrel Centre could help you or someone you know, please get in touch:
- 0300 123 4019
- Kestrel Centre, 2nd Floor Mountbatten Gallery, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2GJ
You can find out more about the team and the Kestrel Centre on the NHS Solent Trust website.
SensePlus Portsmouth is the council-run day service for adults with multiple learning disabilities who also have complex physical or sensory needs. Find out more on our SensePlus Portsmouth page.
Here are other local advice and support services that you may find helpful. You can also find a full directory of local services on the HIVE Portsmouth website.
Advice Portsmouth provides free, independent, impartial and confidential advice to people living in Portsmouth. A team of qualified professionals, staff and volunteers can advise on social welfare, debt, benefits, employment, housing, family and consumer law.
- Visit the Advice Portsmouth website
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 023 9279 4340
Supports people with learning disabilities and/or autism to reach their potential across Sussex and in Portsmouth. They work alongside people to increase skills, live good lives and have great opportunities.
Citizens Advice Portsmouth
You can contact your local citizens advice bureau for free and confidential advice about benefits, consumer rights, debt, family issues, health, housing, immigration, employment, law and courts and more.
- Visit the Citizens Advice Portsmouth website
- Phone: 023 9400 6600
A free scheme funded by the council to match a volunteer and an adult with a learning disability and/or autism in Portsmouth, to attend events together in the city around once a month.
- Website: View Gig Buddies on the Aldingbourne Trust website
- Email: email@example.com
- Country centre: 01243 542 075
- Central office: 01243 544607