Building regulations are national standards that apply to all types of buildings, from major new developments to an extension to your home – they cover all aspects of construction, including foundations, damp-proofing, the overall stability of the building, insulation, energy conservation, ventilation, heating, fire protection and means of escape in case of fire.

They also ensure that adequate access and facilities for people with disabilities are provided to buildings.

Below are a number of common types of development and links to forms and further advice for each. If you have a specific query not covered here, please contact building control via the contact us page.

  • You may pay for building control services by credit card or cheque – please make cheques payable to Portsmouth City Council and separate cheques if also applying for planning permission


Regularising unauthorised works or works carried out without the proper building regulation permission applies to all work carried out after 11 November 1985, enabling you to obtain approval for the works.

The main problem with unauthorised work is found when the property is sold. Solicitors require building regulation approval for all extensions, rooms in the roof, internal alterations, new windows and electrical alterations.

Please contact us and discuss the unauthorised work in detail. We will visit your property and access the work to assess whether it will meet the current building regulations, or if not, how it can be regularised. A charge will be made for this service.

Please note that work will need to be opened up or exposed. Plans and structural calculations may be required to show compliance. You must then submit the regularisation form and pay the subsequent charges as stated in our fee schedule.

  • Regularisation work does not carry a VAT charge but does carry a 20% penalty over the standard or building notice charge for the works. Once the surveyor is satisfied the work complies, a formal regularisation certificate will be issued.

Competent person scheme

People and companies that are competent in their field are now able to self-certify that their work complies with building regulations without the need to submit a building notice or incur local authority inspections or fees.

Electrical works

The building regulations set out overall criteria and requirements to ensure electrical safety in and around the home. The planning portal includes guidelines for validating this type of work.

Electrical work you carry out in your home, garden, garage, shed and other storage buildings may need to comply with building regulations – these are called notifiable works. Some examples of notifiable and non-notifiable works are:

Notifiable works

  • Re-wiring a property
  • Providing electricity to a garage or outhouse
  • The replacement of the main fuse box in a house
  • Any electrical work in a kitchen, shower room or bathroom

Non-notifiable works

  • Replacing any electrical fitting such as socket outlets, light fittings, control switches
  • Adding a fused spur
  • Installing cabling for telephone, burglar alarms or heating control
  • Adding light fittings to an existing circuit

Find more information about domestic electrical works at the planning portal

Doors and windows

Replacement doors and windows need to meet certain building regulations standards applying to thermal performance, safety, air supply, means of escape and ventilation.