How do I complain?

There are many ways you can submit a formal complaint to the council:

Suggestions, compliments and complaints,
Portsmouth City Council,
Civic Offices,
Guildhall Square,

Should I complain?

We take all complaints very seriously. While we try to provide a good service, we know that sometimes things go wrong. We have developed a complaints procedure for you to use if you feel that this is the case.

Sometimes we get complaints that could be dealt with more quickly by contacting the right team. You may want to check with the relevant department before sending a complaint, as we might be able to solve the problem straight away.

Common issues and how you can report them

If you want to make a formal complaint, it will be dealt with according to our complaints policy. This sets out the process for how we will respond to your complaint, and what happens if you disagree with our response.

I need help with my complaint

Everyone has a right to have someone act on their behalf. You can be represented by:

  • A member of your family
  • Your partner
  • A friend
  • An attorney, advocate or solicitor
  • A local councillor (find your local councillor)
  • An MP

We need to have proper consent before we can discuss the complaint with your representative. This is normally written consent, giving them permission to act on your behalf.