Anti-social behaviour ranges from criminal behaviour to low level nuisance. Depending on the type of behaviour causing the problem, you need to report it to the police or to the council.

If someone is in immediate danger call 999.

Police issues

One-off incidents of low level anti-social behaviour are unlikely to get an immediate response from police. However, if there’s a pattern of this behaviour, you should report this to the police online or on 101. You’ll need to provide details of what’s happening, when, where, and who you think is responsible.

The police can deal with:

  • drunken and disorderly behaviour
  • threatening and abusive language in a public place
  • drug dealing
  • harassment
  • criminal damage

You should report these directly to Hampshire and Isle of Wight police or call 101.

Report anti-social behaviour to Hampshire Police

Council issues

You can report the following issues directly to us online:

You can also call our helpdesk on 023 9283 4092.

Tips for reporting anti-social behaviour

When reporting an incident to the council, try to include the following details

  • date and time of the incident
  • location of incident
  • what the person or people have done
  • description of the person or people involved – number of people, their sex, height, build, colour and length of hair, distinguishing marks, ethnicity, clothing, name or nicknames if known
  • any other witnesses
  • how the incident has affected you or others

Community wardens

Our team of Community Wardens are a friendly, approachable source of support and advice for all residents. They welcome reports of anti-social behaviour, as well as criminal damage, arson, noise and neighbour nuisance, fly tipping and more.

Supporting council tenants and leaseholders

The anti-social behaviour unit works closely with the area housing offices and other agencies so that residents can live peacefully and safely in their neighbourhoods. This includes helping housing staff to obtain evidence or by supporting witnesses. The mediation service is also available to help, and will often be able to resolve the problem.

How we deal with anti-social behaviour that affects, or is caused by, our tenants and leaseholders, is detailed in our anti-social behaviour policy

There is also a ‘Anti-social behaviour: help available to council residents and leaseholders‘ booklet, which suggests a step-by-step approach to dealing with anti-social behaviour.