Portsmouth library members enjoy free computer facilities, including word processing and access to the internet, in all nine city libraries.
You can book a computer up to seven days in advance, and for session lengths ranging from 15 minutes to two hours. You are allowed four hours internet access a day across the city.
Computer facilities offered at libraries
The following services are available, although not all are offered at all nine city libraries:
- Internet access and e-mail - search the web and communicate with friends and family
- Microsoft Office 2010 software, including Word, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher and Excel
- Scanners - use our scanners to convert documents and photographs to digital format
- Multilingual support - public computers provide support for users in a wide selection of languages
- Blind and visually impaired support
- Photoshop (at selected branches)
MyCityWiFi availability at libraries
All libraries offer free and unlimited wireless internet access to Portsmouth library members. Make sure your battery is fully charged, because you aren't allowed to plug laptops or other devices into library power points.
Free IT classes in the library
Southsea Library offers free courses to help you get started and improve your confidence online. For more information, please contact Southsea Library on 023 9268 8999.
IT training for the visually impaired
If you or someone you know is visually impaired and would like to learn to use computers, we can help. We run a drop-in session offering training and advice on Wednesdays at the central library 2-3.30pm.
For further information, phone 023 9268 8032.