Every household in Portsmouth has a responsibility to pay Council Tax.

Anyone in the property over the age of 18, whether single or multiple occupants, are responsible for paying and advising us of changes in circumstances, including moving home, or requesting a discount or exemption.

A Council Tax bill is issued once a year (even if you plan to pay monthly) and also anytime you notify us of a change of circumstances.

How to pay your Council Tax bill 

Normally, you will pay your Council Tax bill in ten monthly instalments.

Complete our online form if you would prefer to pay your bill over 12 months instead.

You can pay your Council Tax bill using the following methods:

Setting up a direct debit

A direct debit is the easiest way to pay in instalments, ensuring the correct amount leaves your bank account on the correct date.

Single online payments

Our online payment system is a quick and secure way to make a one-off Council Tax payment.

  • follow the link to make a Council Tax payment online
  • you will need your card details and the taxpayers reference number displayed on your bill

24-hour single phone payments

Outside of office hours please telephone the 24-hour line on 0800 876 6576 to make a single payment.

You will need your bank sort code and account number, as well as the taxpayers reference number displayed on your bill.

Telephone and internet banking

Please quote the taxpayers reference number displayed on your bill, as well as the council bank details:

  • sort code 20-69-57
    • account number 23526623

In person

You can pay your council tax in person at the Civic Offices in Guildhall square, Portsmouth or any of the housing offices around the city - please see our contact us page for address and location details.

How much do I have to pay? 

Your Council Tax is calculated according to your property's value on 1 April, 1991, not what a property is worth today. This is decided by the  Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not Portsmouth City Council.

Council Tax annual charges and bands for April 2019 to March 2020

  • - £ 1,110.57
  • B - £ 1,295.66
  • C - £ 1,480.76
  • D - £ 1,665.85
  • E - £ 2,036.04
  • F - £ 2,406.23
  • G - £ 2,776.42
  • H - £ 3,331.70

For a breakdown of how funds are used, please see the detailed Council Tax guide.

Council Tax bands 2019/20 in full 


Property Valuation

Portsmouth City Council

Adult Social Care

Police and Crime Commissioner

Hampshire Fire & Rescue



Up to £40,000







£40,001 - £52,000







£52,001 - £68,000







£68,001 - £88,000







£88,001 - £120,000







£120,001 - £160,000







£160,001 - £320,000







Over £320,000






Who pays Council Tax? 

Generally, the responsibility for paying Council Tax follows the order of priority:

  1. If you live in a property and own the freehold (resident freeholders) or leasehold (resident leaseholder - you pay ground rent)
  2. Council or private tenants, or someone living in the property under licence (such as a caretaker or publican)
  3. Any resident not described above, including illegal tenants and squatters
  4. Owner of the property who lives elsewhere

If more than one person is at the same point on the list above, they are jointly responsible for paying Council Tax. For example, two resident owners will both be named on the bill.

If you live alone or you're a student you may pay less, or not at all - follow the link for the full list of Council Tax discounts and exemptions.

What to do if you can't pay your Council Tax bill

If you are having difficulties in paying your Council Tax bill, then help could be at hand.

Alternatively, you may be able to set up a special payment arrangement that takes your financial circumstances into consideration.

Phone us on 023 9268 8588 to explore which option will be best for you

If you are in financial difficulty please follow the link for money advice and assistance.

If you think your bill is wrong, or you'd like a copy of your bill 

For a copy of your bill call 023 9268 8588 or complete the online form.

You're welcome to discuss Council Tax queries informally with us.

However, a formal appeal needs to be made in writing if, for example, you believe you're not liable to pay a Council Tax bill, or that your property should be exempt or have a discount applied.

We then have two months to reach a decision on a formal appeal, and may ask you for more information to help us decide in that time.

If you haven't heard from us at the end of two months or you don't agree with our decision, you can appeal to either the independent Valuation Office Agency, or the Valuation Tribunal Service, depending on the subject of your appeal.

If your appeal is upheld by one of these independent bodies, we will make the necessary change.