If you are a landlord of an house in multiple occupation (HMO) you need to have a licence.

An HMO is a bedsit, shared house or flat where three or more people live together as two or more households, with shared kitchens or bathrooms.

Which licence do I need?

There are three types of licence – the one you need will depend on how many people you have living in your HMO, or if you have a property converted into flats.

  • Additional licence – for HMOs of three or four people
  • Mandatory licence – for HMOs of five or more people
  • 257 licence – if your property has been converted into flats, does not comply with 1991 building regulations, and two thirds or more of the flats are rented out.

Keep in touch

Not sure which licence to apply for?

Call us on 023 9284 1659

Or email hmo.licensing@portsmouthcc.gov.uk

Want to be kept in the loop? Subscribe to our landlord newsletter.