This page lists equipment that helps keep you independent. It gives you advice on how to get hold of equipment through us, and where you can find other items that may help.

What daily living equipment can I get from the council?

There’s lots of equipment available that can make everyday tasks like bathing and getting downstairs easier and safer when you’re finding things difficult. These include

  • handrails
  • stair rails
  • raised toilet seats
  • bath boards
  • bed levers
  • shower seats
  • perching stools

Our suppliers will deliver and install the equipment for you. Call the Adult Social Care helpdesk on 023 9268 0810 to request an assessment.

For wheelchairs, zimmer frames and walking sticks, you will need to speak to your GP. For short-term needs, you can sometimes loan these from British Red Cross.

If you’re thinking about buying a mobility scooter, please be aware that we might not be able to adapt your property. Please see guidance on what to consider when getting a mobility scooter.

Larger equipment, such as stairlifts, or changes to your home will take longer and will require the landlord’s permission if you’re a tenant. You may also have to pay for these, depending on your financial situation. You can read more about getting help through a disabled facilities grant.

Hearing or sight loss

Our sensory team provide equipment for people with hearing or sight loss. Find out more on the hearing and sight loss page.

Personal alarms

If you’re worried about falling and not being able to call for help, a personal alarm may be useful for you. Telecare provide pendant alarms which can alert nearby relatives that you need help. It can also be set up to contact a responder service.

Find out more and request a Telecare alarm.