Area action plans (AAP) are development plan documents that focus on a specific location or an area subject to conservation or significant change, including major regeneration or growth areas.
Southsea town centre
Southsea forms part of our three-centre retail strategy, which also focuses on the city centre and Gunwharf Quays. The aim is to promote the city as a retail destination with three different shopping experiences, highlighting the individual role of the three destinations and what they each offer.
This area action plan has been prepared to address the decrease in footfall that Southsea has experienced in recent years and the likely impact that significant retail proposals in the city centre will have on Southsea. It sets a vision for the town centre’s future role and sets policies to guide its development.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call a member of the planning policy team on 023 9268 8633.
Somerstown and north Southsea
The Somerstown and north Southsea area action plan was adopted on 17 July 2012. The plan’s purpose is to:
- Outline a vision for managed change to the physical structure and layout of area which is informed by the priorities identified by residents and other stakeholders
- Ensure that the area is not subject to ‘ad hoc’ and piecemeal development that conflicts with these priorities
- Set out development proposals that will deliver the comprehensive restructuring of the area and act as a catalyst for regeneration
- Provide the basis for future land assembly including compulsory purchase order (CPO) powers
Its main objectives are to create:
- easier and safer movement through the area
- more choice of housing, including a mix of tenure
- better community facilities including health, youth and community buildings
- good quality open spaces including play areas
The Somerstown and north Southsea area action plan forms part of the city’s Local Plan. It expands on Policy PCS6 (Somerstown and North Southsea) of the Portsmouth Plan (Core Strategy) and will sit alongside other policies contained in this plan.
The action plan will be used as a material consideration in determining planning applications and will provide the basis for development to be taken forward, giving developers and stakeholders certainty as to detailed proposals for the area.