Generic filters
Cost of living support and advice

Make sure you’re not paying more than you need to on bills and everyday costs, like gas, electricity and everyday essentials. The information on this page will help you get started.


  • Switched On Portsmouth can help to cut your energy costs and make your home warmer.
  • The warm home discount is a one-off payment of £150 towards your electricity bill or meter for people receiving Pension Credit, and for some households receiving certain means-tested benefits such as universal credit.
  • The government’s Help for Households campaign has information and guidance on the support on offer if you are struggling to pay bills.
  • If you can’t afford to pay your bill or top up your meter, see more advice from Ofgem.
  • Portsmouth Water and Southern Water have support on their websites. They also offer social tariffs at cheaper rates for people on low incomes, who are struggling to pay their water bills.

Keeping warm this winter

If you’re trying to keep heating costs down during the colder months, there are friendly and welcoming warm spaces in your local community where you can meet others, take part in activities, get a warm drink or meal, or spend some quiet time away from your home.

In addition, all Portsmouth libraries are warm spaces where you can spend time, meet others, use the computers and free Wi-Fi, and get help and advice.

Broadband and phone bills

  • Social tariffs are cheaper broadband and phone packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit, and some other benefits. Some providers call them ‘essential’ or ‘basic’ broadband.
  • If you can’t afford the cost of your broadband or mobile phone, Money Saving Expert can tell you how to get a better deal.