If you would like to discuss the process or need help completing your form, please contact the admissions service on 02392 688008 – the city helpdesk will be the first point of contact.
Infant class size (years R to 2) - Notice of Appeal
Review of decision to refuse a place
IMPORTANT - please read these notes carefully before completing the attached notice of appeal
1. If you wish to appeal against the decision not to admit your child, you should return the attached Notice of Appeal form, completed and signed, within 20 school days (4 school weeks) of your notification that there isn’t a place available for your child at your preferred school or by the advised deadline. Please return the form as soon as possible to:
Admissions Service, Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2EA or scan and email to: email@example.com
2. Please note that the law states that your appeal can only succeed if you can prove one or more of the grounds set out in the appeal form.
3. Your appeal against the decision not to admit your child will be heard by an impartial Independent Appeal Panel. You will normally receive at least 10 school days notice of the date, time and place where the appeal will be heard. Generally, all appeals concerning one school are dealt with at the same hearing. When we receive your appeal we may have already set an appeal date for that school. To be included in any pending appeals to save waiting for another hearing to be set up, please complete the consent form (part 5b) of the appeal form to waive your 10 school days notice.
4. Please note that you do not have to attend the appeal hearing but you are strongly advised to do so as you will be able to ask questions about the school’s case and the reasons for not admitting more children to the school, and the Independent Appeal Panel will have a chance to ask you questions about your child and your individual circumstances which may help your case.
5. If your child has been permanently excluded from two or more schools during the last two years then the law does not allow you to appeal against a school deciding not to admit him/her for a period of two years from the last permanent exclusion.
6. The information you put on the appeal form will be treated as confidential.
7. Use the enclosed form for infant class size appeals only.
8. Complete a separate form for each child and school for which you are appealing.
9. Please complete the form using black ink.