This policy will apply to all admissions for the academic year 2020/21 including in- year applications. For details of Published Admission Numbers (PAN’ s) for each school please refer to the list of community infant schools at the end of this document.
If the school is oversubscribed, applications will be considered first according to the priorities in the order set out below: –
- Looked after Children-These are defined as Looked after Children and all previously looked after children, including those children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted. Previously looked after children are children who were looked after but ceased to be so because they were adopted or became subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order.
- Children or families who have a significant medical, physical, psychological or social need. Evidence must be attached with the application form. Applications under this criterion must be supported by written evidence from an appropriate professional involved stating clearly why the preferred school is the most appropriate for the child and reasons why other schools in the city are inappropriate. Please see “Additional Information” below.
- Children living within the school’s designated catchment area. (If the school cannot admit all applications from the catchment area, applicants will be ranked within this category in accordance with priorities in 4. below.)
- Children living outside the school’s catchment area in the following priority order: –
i) children who have a brother or sister (living within the same household) at the school or an adjacent junior school who will be still attending the school the following academic year; Note – this category includes step-brothers/step-sisters, adoptive brothers/sisters living within the same household or children whose parents are married or cohabiting and live together within the same household.
ii) children eligible for service premium. Note – service premium is paid to eligible children of armed services personnel under S14 of the Education Act 2002.
iii) children of staff employed at the school (or school on an adjacent site)
- a) where the member of staff has been employed at the school for 2 or more years at the time at which the application is made, and or
- b) the member of staff is recruited to fill a vacant post for which there is a skill shortage
iv) children who live closest to the school, based on the shortest distance from home to school, measured on a straight line ‘as the crow flies’. (This distance will be used where necessary to prioritise applications). Should there be two or more identical distances requiring prioritisation, this will be done by casting lots. Please see “Additional Information” below.
Note: should the school be oversubscribed from within any of the criteria above, then any additional criteria will be used to prioritise applications within these categories.