Disability Access Fund (DAF)

The funding is available in relation to 3 and 4-year-olds who meet the following criteria:

  • The child is in receipt of child Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and;
  • The child receives free early education (via the universal entitlement or extended childcare hours).

Your childcare provider will be eligible to receive disability access funding, which is £828 per child per year, to help them make reasonable adjustments to their setting to support your child. Speak to your childcare provider for more information on how to apply for the funding.

What support can I expect for my child in an early years setting?

All childcare providers are required to offer an inclusive environment and to respond to individual children’s needs. The Local Offer website contains information on specialist and targeted services across education, health and social care in Portsmouth.

When visiting childcare providers it is important to ask how your child’s needs can be met and to work with the provider to ensure they fully understand any specific resources or equipment that your child will need.

Every early years provider should have a named SENCo (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator) who is responsible for overseeing the inclusive environment and co-ordinating the SEND practice and provision. They will have regard to the SEND Code of Practice and will support staff to meet each child’s needs where possible, building a positive partnership with parents.

Further information and support

Portsmouth City Council provides support for both children with special educational needs and their parents.

For more information email: sen.education@portsmouthcc.gov.uk, or write to:

Special Educational Needs,
Portsmouth City Council,
Civic Offices,
Guildhall Square,
Portsmouth, PO1 2EA.

See website links below:

Am I entitled to any additional funding to help pay my childcare costs?

You could be eligible for additional support to help pay your childcare costs, depending on your income and family situation. View the help with childcare costs page to find out more or go to the Childcare Choices website.