On this page, you will find information about applying for a resident parking permit and answers to questions about residents’ parking in the city.

Find out if you can get a permit for your address on the residents parking zones page.

View the visitors parking permit page for information on purchasing and using visitor permits.

Applying for a resident permit

You can apply for a resident permit online. You will need to upload a photo (or scan) of your vehicle registration document and proof of address.

Your proof of address can include:

  • a council tax bill
  • a valid tenancy agreement
  • a solicitor’s letter confirming purchase of property
  • a utility bill from the last three months showing the address in the residents’ zone. You will also need a copy of your vehicle registration documents (V5C) showing the vehicle make, model, registration and your personal details. The registration document must be in your name and registered to the permit address.

If your vehicle is registered to an old address or you have the new keeper supplement, you can still apply online. We will give you a temporary, non-refundable permit. You have six weeks to provide the documents or we will cancel your permit.

You will need to pay for your permit. As soon as you have finished the online application and paid, you are covered to park in the residents’ zone. You won’t be sent a paper permit as resident parking permits are now ‘virtual’. Find out which roads are covered in your zone, as there may be some restrictions in your area.

If you can’t apply online, you can apply by e-mail or post.

You can pay:

  • by card over the phone,
  • cheque by post

Please wait 7 to 10 days for your permit to start if you apply by post or e-mail.

Resident parking permit costs

First vehicle permit – £30

Second vehicle permit – £120

Third and subsequent vehicle permits – £300 (please check each zone if available)

Renewing your resident permit

We will e-mail a reminder to you 28 days before your permit expires.

Make sure that you add this email address to your safe senders so that your reminder doesn’t go to your junk mail folder: parkingpermitmanagement@parking.portsmouthcc.gov.uk

If we do not have an email address for you, we will send the reminder by post. It is up to you to make sure you have a valid permit.

If your permit has expired you will need to apply for a new permit.


How do I know if my property is in a resident parking zone? 

The residents parking zone page lists the roads covered by each scheme, including maps.

When you enter a residents parking zone, you will see signs saying ‘Controlled Zone’. When you leave a zone, signs will tell you that the ‘Zone Ends’.

They are also identified within the zone by further signs with the words ‘XX zone permit holders exempt’ (where ‘XX’ are the letters for the permit zone – such as GA Fratton or KC West Southsea).

I am a student – can I get a resident parking permit? 

You must live in a Resident Permit Zone to get a permit with the exception of a Student Hall of Residence which are not eligible for a resident parking permit.

If your vehicle is still registered to a different address, complete either:

  • section 6 ‘New keeper or new name/new address details’ (old style V5C log book) or
  • section 3 ‘Change my name and/or address’ (new style V5C log book) and upload pages 1 and 2.

We also need to see your Tenancy/Rental agreement, showing your name and address together with the start and finish dates.  You can apply using our online portal.

Can I get a resident’s permit if I don’t own the vehicle but I am a named driver on the insurance?

No. To get a resident parking permit, the vehicle must be registered to you with the DVLA at an address within the resident zone.

I live in a flat, shared house or House in Multiple Occupancy – how many of us can get a resident parking permit?

Permits are issued per postal address. A flat with its own postal address, such as Flat 1 or Flat A, is separate from other flats in the building and would be allowed up to two permits.

If you live in a room in a shared house or house in multiple occupancy, the house counts as one postal address. This means it is allowed up to two permits. We may issue a third permit where space allows.

Do zones guarantee a parking space outside my house?

No. If the road outside your home or business is a public highway then anyone can park there as long as they do so legally. Existing parking zones show that residents have more chance of parking outside or near their homes when a parking zone is in operation, than before.

Special vehicles

Can I get a permit for my company van or commercial vehicle?

Yes. We can issue vans and commercial vehicles with a permit if you own the vehicle or this is the only vehicle at the property.

If the vehicle is needed for regular emergency call-outs outside of normal working hours, it may qualify for a permit. You will need a letter from your line manager confirming the nature of these call-outs and the vehicle make, model and registration number. You will need to provide three months of time-sheets showing the date, time, address and the reason the vehicle has been called out in an emergency.

Only vehicles with a gross weight less than 3,501kg can qualify for a permit, even if the vehicle is registered to you at your address

Apply online here.

Can I get a permit for a lease/company car or taxi/private hire? 

Yes. You can get a permit for a lease vehicle, company car or taxi/private hire. You will need to provide a copy of the lease, or a letter from the company on headed paper showing:

  • the driver’s name
  • address
  • vehicle registration number
  • make
  • model
  • lease period (for lease vehicles and taxis/private hires)

You will also need to provide proof of your address.

Apply online and upload the lease agreement or company letter as proof of vehicle. Individual lease agreements for finance purposes will not be accepted.

Can I get a permit for a courtesy car?

Yes. If you have a courtesy car from a garage or your insurer because of an accident or repair please complete the change of vehicle form and select courtesy vehicle.

You will need to provide a copy or evidence of the hire agreement and we aim to update any changes the same day (Mon-Fri) if received by 1pm. There is no charge for this and we will change the permit details and give you a temporary permit (max 28 days).

When your original vehicle has been repaired, you will need to either call us on 023 9268 8310 (Mon-Fri 9am- 4pm) or e-mail parking.permits@portsmouthcc.gov.uk so we change the details back.

If your car is written off and you replace the vehicle, the process is the same as changing your vehicle. This will cost £10.

Can I have more than one registration number on a permit?

If you have access to more than one vehicle please contact us on 023 9268 8310 for more details. An additional charge will apply.

I share a car with someone who lives outside the zone, and they are the registered keeper, can I still get a permit?

Yes, but only if all of the following apply:

  • the car is registered in a permit zone in Portsmouth
  • both the registered keeper and the sharer confirm the vehicle is being shared on a regular basis
  • the sharer proves they are living in a different zone
  • the insurance document confirms both the registered keeper, and the sharer are insured to drive the car
  • evidence is produced to show the insurance company has been informed that the car is shared between the residents of two different addresses.

Can a foreign registered vehicle have a resident permit?

No, unless the vehicle is in the process of being reregistered in the UK, where it will be issued with a new registration number and document by the DVLA. This will confirm it is registered to you at an address within the zone.

We will need to see evidence that you have started the re-registering process with the DVLA for a permit to be temporarily authorised and you will need to provide a copy of the new vehicle registration document when you receive it, so the registration on the permit can be updated.

Changes in circumstances

What happens if I change my vehicle?

You can change the registration on a permit online. You will need to provide:

  • the vehicle registration document,
  • new keeper’s supplement,
  • sales receipt or lease agreement showing full vehicle details together with your old vehicle registration and address.

It costs £10 to change details on a permit.

If we don’t see the registration document or lease agreement in your name at the permit address, we will give you a temporary permit. You will then have six weeks to provide us with the documents, otherwise your permit will be cancelled.

Complete the ‘Change the vehicle for a resident parking permit‘ form online, or email parkingpermits@portsmouthcc.gov.uk with change of vehicle in the subject line. You can also apply by post.

What happens if I change my address?

Please e-mail parkingpermits@portsmouthcc.gov.uk  in advance with the permit number or vehicle registration number, together with the date you are leaving the address. The Parking team will then cancel the permit.

If you are moving to an area with a parking zone (even if you are moving within the same parking zone), you will need to apply for a new permit. To do this, you’ll need to send your V5c (log book) and proof of your new address via the Parking Permit Portal.

You will also need to send your V5c (log book) to the DVLA to update the address. You will have six weeks to provide a copy of the V5c or we will cancel your permit.

Can I update my details online?

Unfortunately you can’t update your details online. We hope to have this option in the future.

Dropped kerbs

Do I need a residents parking permit to park across my dropped kerb?

No. If you have a dropped kerb with access to your own off-street parking (such as a drive or garage), then you are allowed to park across the dropped kerb and will not require a permit, provided the vehicle does not overhang into a bay or other restriction. This does not apply to resident parking zones (such as BF Park Lane) or roads where there are no bay markings meaning a permit will be required.

Can I park across the dropped kerb if the same access is shared?

No. Vehicles are not allowed to park across dropped kerbs where the same access is shared (such as to more than one property), even if one of the property owners has given permission.

Can I park across a dropped kerb which pedestrians use to cross the road or where there is another restriction running through it, e.g. double yellow lines?

No. Vehicles cannot park across dropped kerbs that are installed to allow pedestrians to cross the road or where any type of dropped kerb has double yellow lines in place.