If you want to provide street entertainment by way of ‘busking’ in Portsmouth then you must hold a Street Entertainment Permit issued to you by Portsmouth City Council.

You are likely to be ‘moved on’ from the pedestrian precinct area by the council or the police if you busk without a permit.

Buskers are encouraged to perform at street markets but must do so in agreement with, and with the permission of, the market organiser. Contact details for market organisers can be found on our Market Stalls page.

The Act of Parliament utilised to licence and regulate street entertainers is contained within Section 145 of the Local Government Act 1972.  This Act allows the council to arrange for the ‘provision of entertainment’.