When joining the library, you will receive a library card. This page tells you what to do if you need to change or replace your card, and what discounts you can receive with your library card.
Joining the library
Membership of Portsmouth City libraries is free – you don’t even need to live in Portsmouth.
You can join in person at any library, or complete the online application form.
If you’re under 16, we need to check that one of your parents, or your guardian, is happy for you to join the library.
You can use your library card straight away in all Portsmouth City Council’s ten libraries. If you borrow items from one branch, you can return them to any Portsmouth library.
We can email you a reminder that your books are overdue, or let you know that your reservation is ready for collection, if you let us have your email address when you join.
Looking after your library card
If you change your name, address, telephone number or email address, let us know so we can update your card.
If your card is lost or stolen, let us know as soon as possible, and we will cancel the card (If you don’t, you may be liable for anything borrowed on it).
Your first library card is free, but we charge £1.50 to replace an adult card, and 50p to replace a child’s card.
Your card gives you free access to the internet and Microsoft Office on our library computers, and the following discounts in the city:
- 20% off Full Navy Tickets to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard – terms & conditions apply (download terms & conditions document).
- 20% discount with Hovertravel
- 20% discount at Mozzarella Joes pizza restaurant (up to 8 people per table and not valid in conjunction with any other offers)
- £2 off standard admission to the Blue Reef Aquarium
- 10% discount at Blossoms of Portsmouth florist
- Free swimming at selected Portsmouth pools for those aged 12 and under
These discounts are not valid in conjunction with other offers. Terms and conditions apply. Information correct as of March 2019 and may be subject to change. Always check with provider.