Portsmouth has two 18 hole golf courses available for pay and play – Portsmouth golf course outside the city, and Great Salterns golf course on the Eastern Road. Visitors are welcome at both.
Portsmouth golf course
Portsmouth golf course is a testing hilltop course of 6139 yards and par 69, situated off Crookhorn Lane on the South Downs above Portsmouth.
Visit www.portsmouthgc.co.uk or phone 023 9237 2210 for more information, or to make a booking. The course is managed by Glendale Golf.
Great Salterns golf course
Great Salterns golf course at Burrfields Road is a mature parkland course with excellent greens, 5620 yards and par 69 with two holes playing across Salterns Lake. Great Salterns extends a friendly welcome to golfers of all abilities and experience.
The well-stocked shop has a specialist custom-fit team, and offers all the latest equipment and accessories.
The 300 yard, 22-bay, floodlit driving range has Power Tee systems in every bay, a practice bunker and green. Golf lessons are available from the Teaching Academy for beginners and advanced players with coaches qualified with the Professional Golfers’ Association.
All charges apply from 1 April to 31 March
- Junior rates apply to anyone under 18 years old
- Senior citizen rates apply to anyone aged 65 or over on 1 April for both men and women
- Bank holiday weekend rates and conditions apply
- Penalty charge for use of golf course without a current ticket is £20, in addition to green fee or start fee charge
- Cancellations with less than 6 hours notice may be subject to a cancellation fee
Notes about green fees
- Leisure card holders receive a 40% discount on green fees
- Off peak tickets are available as advertised, times vary throughout the year
- Reduced course tickets are applicable when only 12-17 holes are available for play
- If less than 12 holes the off peak ticket applies
- All green fees include an amount for golfer insurance of 28p, 20p for reduced course tickets
Notes about season tickets
- The maxi ticket offers unlimited play, while the flexi ticket offers a reduced annual fee with a start fee.
- 5 day tickets allow play Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays
- Junior off peak is Monday to Friday after 10am and after 3pm on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays
- Intermediate rates apply to anyone aged 18 to 23 years old
- All season tickets include an amount for golfer insurance of £9 for adults and £7 for juniors
- A direct debit scheme is available for those who wish to spread their payments with 3% handling fee, not available for junior off peak