You can apply to join the free swimming scheme at any of the two swimming centres.
- Mountbatten Leisure Centre
- Charter Community Sports Centre
To be eligible:
- You must be a Portsmouth resident, living at an address with a PO1, PO2, PO3, PO4, PO5 or PO6 postcode. We’ll ask to see proof of address so bring a recent utility bill or a council tax bill for the current year with you.
- You will need to show official proof of age – for example a birth certificate or valid passport.
- You must show a valid Portsmouth Library Card. If you’re not already a library member you can join for free at any of the nine library branches around the city, or the Mobile Library. Successful applicants will be given a free swimming membership card and a one off administration charge of £3.50 applies. Please note there will be a charge of £3.50 for any replacement cards.
Terms and conditions apply
Free Swimming will only be available during public swimming sessions. Children between 5 and 12 years of age will not be given access to free swimming between 9am and 3pm during school term.
Admission is with a parent or accompanying adult, with a maximum of 1 adult to 3 children.
All children under the age of 8, must be accompanied in the pool by an adult at all times to the ratio of 1 parent to 2 children.
For children under the age of 4, a ratio of 1 parent to 1 child applies.
Admission to the Free Swimming sessions will be subject to the pool’s capacity.
The Free Swimming Scheme does not include swimming lessons although these can be booked directly with our partner BH Live.