Learn about fostering and our upcoming events

Portsmouth City Council needs more foster carers to provide homes for Portsmouth children from babies through to teenagers. Foster carers do an amazing job in helping children and young people reach their full potential, and you could do it too.

Who can foster?

  • Do you have a spare bedroom?
  • Are you over 18?
  • Do you have child care experience or experience of working with young people?
  • Do you have the time and energy to invest in a child or young person?
  • Do you live in Portsmouth or the surrounding area?
  • Do you have professional, voluntary or personal experience of caring for people with disabilities?

Talk to us today. Call 023 9283 4071, e-mail us at fostering@portsmouthcc.gov.uk or fill out our online enquiry form.  There is lots more information about fostering on the Foster Portsmouth website.

Private Fostering

Is your child living with someone else during the current pandemic? Do you know a child who is living away from home?

If a child is living with someone who isn’t a close relative (i.e. grandparent, aunt, uncle or step-parent by marriage) and they are likely to be there for more than 28 days, then by law we need to be notified of this arrangement.

There can be many reasons why a child doesn’t live at home and someone else is required to care for them:

  • Family breakdown or divorce
  • Parent arranging for child to be cared for whilst they work or study away
  • Child from outside the UK living with relatives or friends in the UK

These types of arrangements are private fostering and legally we must be informed.

To speak to us about a private fostering arrangement, please call the team on tel: 023 9268 8793, email: privatefostering@portsmouthcc.gov.uk or for more information, visit: www.privatefostering.org.uk.