Residential care is provided by Portsmouth City Council when children with many different needs cannot live in a family environment. Residential homes provide a caring environment for children to develop and grow, as well as providing food, shelter and space for play and leisure.

For more information about residential care for children, phone 02392 839111.

When children and young people come to live in a residential home, they will have a ‘care plan’. Their care plan explains why the child is living away from home, what the young person can expect to happen in residential care, and how long they are likely to stay.

Children will sometimes return home, some go to live with other families and a few go to live in other homes. Older children who are not able to return home are given help to prepare them for living independently.

Education is important, so children go to their own school if they have a school place, or we help to get them back into school or college where safe to do so.

It is important that children and young people stay in touch with their family and friends. It is only when they might be hurt, or a Court Order says that contact is not allowed, that some children will not be able to have visits from their family or will not be able to visit them.

Children and young people are respected as individuals. By providing for their religious and cultural needs, children are encouraged to keep their sense of personal identity and community.

Using residential care for children

Children and young people have to live away from their own families for all sorts of reasons, for example:

  • their parents are unwell
  • they have problems with their family and need to spend some time away from home, e.g. behaviour problems or educational difficulties
  • they may have a disability and need a break from living with their families
  • they are in the care of the Local Authority on a Court Order or an Interim Care Order.

Generally, when children and young people need to live away from their families, they will stay with foster carers, family & friends or committed carers. For a few young people, a family environment is not appropriate and residential care is required.

We always make sure the alternatives are fully considered before recommending residential care.