This page gives you advice about what support is available for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Intersex (LGBTQ+) young people and their families.
Provision in Portsmouth for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Intersex young people
What support is available?
The Early Help and Prevention Service’s LGBTQ Team support young people who are exploring their gender identity/sexuality and their families. This team:
- Offer support and guidance for professionals through the ‘Team Around the Worker’ model
- Liaise with schools and other agencies to ensure support for young people is effective
- Offer short one-to-one interventions for young people
- Offer young people access to weekly specialist youth groups (4U, 4Me, and 4Us).
- Will run short interventions to support families with exploring issues alongside their young person
4U, 4Me and 4Us Youth Groups
The 4U, 4Me and 4Us Youth Groups exist in the city to support children and young people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender variant or who are questioning their gender identity or sexuality.
An experienced, skilled youth team offers a weekly youth group in a safe, secure and supportive environment. There are activities each week designed to help to improve self-esteem, give young people a social outlet in which to make new friends and to provide information to support them as they move into adulthood.
To access the groups, the child, young person or family member will first need to have a conversation with our Specialist Support Worker to establish if the group is right for them, or whether alternative support would be more suitable. To arrange time to speak with the team, email firstname.lastname@example.org or to make a referral complete the referral form with the appropriate contact details of the young person, parent or their support worker.
- For 13-19 year-olds: There is 4U Youth Group. Tuesdays 6pm – 9pm
- For 18-25 year-olds: There is the 4Me Youth Group. Thursdays 7pm – 9pm.
- For Under 13s & Parents & Carers: There is the 4Us Group. Alternate Mondays 5pm -7.30pm. This is an alternated learning and peer support group, with a facilitated youth group for under 13s once a month.
The Youth Group space has step-free access and an accessible toilet, although some of the hallways are quite narrow. If you have any questions about access, please contact us for more information and we will be happy to help.