This page gives you advice about what support is available for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Intersex (LGBTQ+) young people and their families.
Provision in Portsmouth for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning and Intersex young people
What support is available?
The Early Help and Prevention Service’s LGBTQ Team support young people who are exploring their gender identity/sexuality and their families. This team:
- Offer support and guidance for professionals through the ‘Team Around the Worker’ model
- Liaise with schools and other agencies to ensure support for young people is effective
- Offer short one-to-one interventions for young people
- Offer young people access to a weekly specialist youth group (4U).
- Will run short interventions to support families with exploring issues alongside their young person
For further information, contact us on email@example.com
The 4U Youth Group
The 4U Youth Group exists in the city to support young people between the ages of 13 and 19-years-old who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender variant or who are questioning their gender identity/sexuality.
We have an experienced, skilled youth team who offer a weekly youth group every Tuesday 6.00pm – 9.00pm. We meet in a safe, secure and supportive environment. Each week we run activities which are designed to help to improve self-esteem, give young people a social outlet in which to make new friends and to provide information to support them as they move into adulthood.
To access 4U, the young person will first need to have a conversation with our Specialist Support Worker to establish if 4U is the right group for them, or whether alternative support would be more suitable. To arrange time to speak with the team, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the appropriate contact details of the young person, parent or their support worker.
The Youth Group space has step-free access and an accessible toilet, although some of the hallways are quite narrow. If you have any questions about access, please contact us for more information and we will be happy to help.
The following links are useful for young people, parents and professionals:
- Allsorts – Allsorts support LGBTQ young people in Brighton. They have a collection of really useful resources for professionals, parents and young people.
- The Tavistock Gender Identity Development service – The only clinic in the country for children and young people aged under 18 who are trans, gender variant or exploring their gender identity.
- Gendered Intelligence – Work with trans / gender variant young people nationally. They run youth groups in London, Leeds and Bristol and regular projects, as well as running a parents’ group. GI also work with schools and other organisations to improve knowledge and understanding around gender identity.
- Y Services – Support for LGBT young people in Havant, Fareham and Gosport.
- Young Stonewall – An LGBT rights charity, working with policy-makers and organisations to improve equality and the lives of LGBT people in the UK and abroad.
- Equality and human rights – Information on protections for LGB and Trans people under the Equality Act 2010.
- Changing your name – Government advice on changing your name legally
- Kroma – Support for LGBTQ adults (over 18) in Portsmouth
- Chrysalis – Chrysalis are based in Southampton and support trans adults over the age of 18. But they can offer support to parents of trans children no matter what age your child.
- LGBT youth in care – Information for professionals and carers on how to support LGBT young people in care.