Generic filters

Answers to common myths and common questions

I don’t get a carer's allowance, therefore I'm not a carer

Most carers combine work with caring for someone. Carer’s allowance is a benefit for those who care for someone 35 hours a week or more and, due to caring responsibilities, are not able to work or work limited hours (earn up to £128 per week after tax).

I help sporadically, only when he's unwell

For many carers their caring responsibilities fluctuate and depend on condition of the cared for. It is quite common especially among carers supporting someone with mental health issues to have quieter and more intense periods when they provide support.

I don't live with my mum, so I'm not her carer

You don’t have to live with a person you care for to be their carer.

We are coping for now, so don't need support

Good to know you’re coping with your caring role. We would however encourage you to fill in carers self assessment so we know about you. Please get in touch if you need support or if you have any questions. If you don’t in a year’s time we’ll contact you to check if anything changed. If you want to be up-to-date with what we’re doing check our Facebook page.

I work full time and care - where do I get help?

There are rules regarding flexible work and time off to care, also your employer may have carers policy in place. You may check with HR department or with your manager.

All carers are different and support you need will be very individual to you. Please get in touch with the Carers Centre, complete a carer’s self assessment based on which we will be able to tailor support for you and inform you on support available for the person you care for.

I can't leave my husband to visit the Carers Centre

If you can’t leave the person you care for to see us at the Carers Centre or another location we may be able to come and see you at your home. We may be able to put a sitting service in place to enable you to have a break.

She has carers helping her, I'm just her friend

You may still be a carer to a friend who has package of care and is in receipt of professional carers help. If you help your friend with house chores, cook their meals, deal with doctors appointments, make sure they are safe or are on standby in case of emergency you are their carer.

My son has Autism but I'm his mother not a carer

If your child has a physical disability or special educational needs due to their disability or autism you are their carer.

I have to help her as there is no one else

If you are the only person caring for your loved one or a friend and finding it hard, there may be help available for them from adult social care, mental health or a voluntary organisation.

Please contact the Carers Centre to discuss it further.

I can't do it any more

Sometimes carers come to the point when they feel they can’t look after someone anymore. Very often it is because they need to have a break from caring. The Carers Centre may help you to have a break or inform on the respite options.

I would like to apply for Lasting Power of Attorney

If you need information on LPA we may provide you with information pack.

I don't want my husband to go to a nursing home

Social workers will do everything possible for your loved one to be cared for in their own home and will help you to put a package of care in place to help you to care.

When a few people share caring responsibilities

It often happens that a few friends or family members look after one person. All of them will have different needs and all of them are entitled to carers assessment and to receive support.