Generic filters

Social care is means tested, which means that you may be asked to contribute or pay in full for the services you receive.

After your care assessment, if you are eligible for support from adult social care, you will be offered a financial assessment to see whether you are eligible for any funding. By law, all councils use the same criteria for financial assessment. If you choose not to have a financial assessment you will be charged the full cost of your care.

Financial Assessment

A member of our financial assessment and benefits team will visit you to talk about your options and help you claim any benefits you might be entitled to, such as attendance allowance or personal independence payments.

When we visit we will need to see proof of all of your income, savings and investments.

We will ask about the things that you have to pay for because of your disability.

If you will be receiving care and support at home we will also ask about your housing costs. This includes mortgage or rent payments, and utility bills – we will need to see copies of bills and receipts for proof.

Contact our Financial Assessment and Benefits team by phone on 023 9268 8199.

How much will I pay?

We calculate your contribution by looking at your income, your savings and your investments, to find out how much you can afford to pay towards your care. This might mean that you pay for all of your care.

As a guide, if you have savings and investments:

  • Under £14,250 – your contribution will be calculated only on your income
  • Between £14,250 and £23,250 – your contribution will be calculated based on your income. We will then add £1 per week for every £250 you have over the £14,250 limit
  • Over £23,250 – you will pay the full cost of your care

(Capital thresholds for April 2016 – April 2017)

What if I own my own home?

The value of your home is not taken into account as long as you continue to live there. This means if you are receiving care and support at home, the home you live in will not be considered part of your savings and investments.

The value of your home is usually taken into account when you move to residential care. It will be counted as savings or investments, so if you have over £23,250 equity in your property, you are likely to be charged the full cost of your care.

In certain conditions your home can be ‘disregarded’. This might be because your partner or a dependent that has been living with you will continue to live there after you move to residential care. The Money Advice Service has further information on financial assessment for residential care, including what happens if you jointly own your property.

If the value of your home is taken into account, you will not have to sell it in your lifetime. You can choose to access our Deferred Payment Scheme, which gives you the flexibility to choose when your home is sold. There is a fee and an interest charge for this scheme.

Can someone be with me during the financial assessment?

Yes, you are welcome to ask someone to be at the financial assessment with you.

If you feel you need the support of an independent professional advocate, please ask us when we contact you to arrange the visit. An advocate helps you to talk to us, and makes sure we listen to you and understand you.

How can I plan ahead?

Planning ahead can help you to have more choice and control over your care and support.

See our Independence and Wellbeing page for information and advice on looking after yourself, both physically and mentally, to stay independent and well for as long as possible.

If you are likely to need to pay towards your care, or wish to arrange your care privately, you may benefit from independent financial advice. Financial advisers that are accredited by the Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA) have proven specialist knowledge in care funding.

Search ‘Paying for Care’ on the Healthwatch Service Directory for links to further information about paying for care, helpful care cost calculators and independent financial advice.

For more general advice, see the Money Advice Service.