Generic filters

This page tells you about how you can get care at home. It gives you information on who can get help, what carers will do, and other ways of being supported.

How can I get care at home?

If you or a loved one needs help at home with day-to-day living, you can arrange this by:

  • contacting a private care agency of your choice
  • calling the Adult Social Care helpdesk on 023 9268 0810

If you decide on Adult Social Care, you’ll need to be assessed so we can see what type of care would help you. Anyone can ask for an assessment. There’s more information on our ‘Getting an assessment‘ page.

If we agree that you need support at home, we’ll help you to get the support you need. This may be from care agencies, voluntary organisations or other services in Portsmouth.

Whether you have to pay for your care depends on your finances and savings. Read the ‘Paying for care‘ page for more information.

If your situation changes, you can ask for a review of your care by calling the helpdesk. You can also call the helpdesk to cancel or reduce your care if you wish.

What will carers do?

Carers put in place by Adult Social Care can support with:

  • Getting dressed/undressed
  • Getting in/out of bed
  • Preparing meals/drinks
  • Using the toilet
  • Personal care (bathing, etc.)
  • Accessing the community
  • Medication reminders
  • Parental and caring responsibilities
  • Rehabilitation – If you only need carers for shopping, gardening or housework, you might not qualify for care visits. You could look at hiring a personal assistant for these tasks, or search other services in Portsmouth.

Who can get help?

To get help from Portsmouth Adult Social Care, you must:

  • Live in Portsmouth (between postcodes PO1 to PO6)
  • Be over the age of 18
  • Meet the eligibility criteria (which decides if you need support or not)

    Whether you pay for care or not will depend on your financial situation. Read the ‘Paying for care‘ page for more information.

Getting help for a friend or family member

You can ask us to assess a friend or family member if you think they need support. We usually need their permission first.

If you are concerned about a friend or family member, call the Adult Social Care helpdesk on 023 9268 0810 to discuss.

More information