Generic filters

If your current living arrangements aren’t suitable, there are a wide range of accommodation options, with different types of support available.

Care Quality Commission Logo

Care homes (and nursing homes)

If you are no longer able to live in your current home, and other care options are not suitable, you might need to consider residential care.

Nursing homes provide similar support to care homes, but will also have a registered nurse available 24 hours a day to provide nursing care.

Choosing a Care Home

There is a full list of care and nursing homes in the Portsmouth area on the Healthwatch Service Directory.

All care homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission, so each care home page also includes a link to its CQC report, showing whether the home is providing adequate standards of care.

For care homes outside of the city, view the local council page for the area, such as Hampshire County Council’s website for Hampshire care homes, or West Sussex County Council’s website for West Sussex care homes.

Care Homes run by Portsmouth City Council

We run several care homes in the city. The list below includes the CQC rating and a link to the CQC report for each of the premises.

If you are arranging your care privately:

Try not to make this decision in a hurry or at a time of change such as after discharge from hospital, after an illness, or bereavement. Your needs can change and there may be other services available to support you through a time when you need more support.

See our page on Emergency Care and Recovery for more information on care options.

If you are living alone, it may be tempting to consider residential care for company – if your care needs can be met in the community, you might prefer Extra Care’s neighbourly communal lounges and facilities. There are also social groups (see independence and wellbeing), activities, lunch clubs, befriending services, and accessible transport options springing up across the city.

Find more by searching ‘social’ on the Healthwatch Service Directory to find one that suits you.

If you will need help or advice on paying for a care home placement it is important that you contact Portsmouth City Council. If you enter into your own agreement with the care home this is a private arrangement between you and the home.

Assessment and Advice

You can ask for an assessment from Adult Social Care by calling our helpdesk on 023 9268 0810.

If you already have a social worker, they will be able to advise whether residential care is a suitable option for you at this time, and help you choose one that is right for you.

Extra Care

Extra Care is a housing option for people who wish to live in the community with the security of knowing help is on hand 24 hours a day.

The flats are purpose-built and fully accessible. Facilities include on-site care available 24 hours, communal sitting and dining rooms, hair salons and assisted bathing. To buy or rent an Extra Care flat you will need to have had an assessment from Adult Social Care.

For much more information, including our Extra Care sites, see Sheltered Housing and Extra Care.

Shared Lives - accommodation and support

Shared Lives is a unique service managed by Portsmouth City Council for adults who need help because of a physical or learning disability, mental health issue or long term health condition. We provide accommodation with support in the homes of families and individuals for long stays, short stays or day support, and people can share in the family’s home and community life.

Shared Lives carers can provide help with tasks, for example emotional support, personal care, preparing meals, helping to manage money, or supporting trips out into the community. Shared Lives is registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC), and is available to an adult who has had an assessment completed by the council’s adult services or adult mental health services.

Below is more information for people interested in the Shared Lives scheme, both adults needing help with their daily lives and people considering applying to become shared Lives carers.

Shared Lives

Shared Lives matches people who have support needs with approved Shared Lives carers.

Shared Lives supports adults with all different kinds of needs, such as people with mental health conditions or learning or physical disabilities.

You can have support with daytime activities, overnight stays, respite, or choose to live permanently with a Shared Lives family in the community, depending on your needs and wishes. You can have support to live independently with as much help as you need, for example with your personal care, preparing meals, managing your money and accessing your appointments.

The Shared Lives service will make sure you’re happy with the household you’re matched with, and that you’re receiving the support you need to live independently. A member of the team will meet regularly with you and your Shared Lives carer to see how things are going.

Contact Shared Lives for more information on 023 9261 6700 or email

For more information visit Shared Lives.

End of Life Care

End of life care, also called ‘palliative care’ or ‘hospice care’, supports people who may be in their last year of life. It helps you to live as well as possible and manage your condition with dignity.

There are lots of different services for end of life care, depending on what support you need. Support will focus on the whole of your life, including support for your family or carers, and emotional and spiritual support.

Search ‘palliative’ on the Healthwatch Service Directory for details of local services for you and your family.

Planning Ahead

Thinking about the decisions you and your family might need to make in the future can be difficult, and might feel like ‘tempting fate’ but it can also help make things easier. Some people find that planning ahead helps them to have a sense of control and reassurance.

Advance Statement

An Advance Statement is a written statement saying how you would prefer to be looked after, so that people know what to do if you’re not able to make decisions, or communicate.

Think about what’s important to you. It might be a certain routine you like to follow, certain food you like to eat, or dates you like to celebrate. For example, is it important to you that you continue to observe your religious, cultural or family traditions in your usual way? An Advance Statement can make sure the people involved with your care know how to support you in this.

Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment

An Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment, sometimes called an Advance Decision, ADRT or ‘living will’, is where you write down which treatments you do not want to have.

If you ever lack capacity to make a decision about your treatment, or you are unable to communicate your wishes, an Advance Decision will make sure the people involved in your care know which treatment options you would refuse.

Lasting Power of Attorney

Lasting Power of Attorney is the term for choosing someone who will make decisions on your behalf if you ever lack capacity to make decision s in the future. The law says that you can only arrange this whilst you still have capacity.

There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney, one for your health and welfare, and one for your property and financial affairs. You can choose to have different people for each type, or more than one person. You can also choose the same person to do both.

Making a Will

A will is a written statement of what you want to happen to your money, your home, and your belongings after your death. It can help to make sure you pay the right inheritance tax and, even if your belongings have only sentimental value, a will can help to avoid disputes in the family.

You can use your will to say how you would like to be remembered at your funeral, such as whether you would prefer to be buried or cremated, and what music you’d like to play.

You can make a will at any time, and you can update it or make a new will at any time afterwards.

Find out more about making a will on the website.

Paying for residential care

If your assessment finds that you have eligible needs, you will have a financial assessment to find out whether you are entitled to any funding towards the cost of your care.

Our page Paying for Adult Social Care has details on the financial assessment and eligibility for funding.

There are slightly different rules for residential care, so if you have previously had a financial assessment for care at home, you may need to be re-assessed when moving to residential care.

Safeguarding adults at risk

Safeguarding means protecting people from harm. The Adult Safeguarding Team works with adults who have care and support needs, who may be at risk.

For further details see our Safeguarding Adults at Risk page.

Safeguarding is everyone’s business, so if you’re worried about someone don’t assume someone else is doing something to help. Contact the Adult Safeguarding Team on 023 9268 0810.

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards

Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) are part of the Mental Capacity Act 2005, which is the law that protects people who do not have the mental capacity to make decisions for themselves.

What is mental capacity?

When we talk about mental capacity, we mean our ability to choose what we want for ourselves. If a learning disability, mental health condition or dementia means you are not able to understand the decision, remember enough information to weigh up your choices, or communicate your decision, you may be assessed as lacking capacity.

The Mental Capacity Act says:

  • Everyone has the right to make their own decisions.
  • You should be given as much support as possible to make your decision, and communicate your wishes.
  • Making a decision that seems unwise or unusual does not mean a person lacks capacity to make that decision.
  • If a person has been assessed as lacking capacity to make a certain decision, any decision made on their behalf must be:
  • In their best interests.
  • The option that restricts their rights and freedoms the least.

Deprivation of Liberty

Deprivation of Liberty means not being free to do as you choose. Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards are there to make sure that people are not restricted unfairly. The law says,

“A deprivation of liberty occurs when the person is under continuous supervision and control and is not free to leave, and the person lacks capacity to consent to these arrangements.”

This could be:

  • Being restrained or sedated to be admitted to a care home or hospital
  • Staff having complete control over the person’s daily life for a long time
  • Staff making all the person’s decisions, including decisions about assessments, treatments and visitors
  • Being unable to keep in touch with friends and family because of restrictions

A care home or hospital is not allowed to deprive a person of their liberty without authorisation. They must apply to the council for authorisation, and a trained Best Interests Assessor and mental health assessor will assess whether the case meets strict criteria. For example, the council must agree that:

  • The arrangements are in the person’s best interests
  • There are no less restrictive options

The person has not made an Advance Decision to Refuse Treatment that applies to these arrangements

If you believe a person is being deprived of their liberty, you can:

Ask the care home or hospital to change their arrangements to be less restrictive. They should speak to you about why they believe the arrangements are necessary, and whether there are any other options.

Ask the care home or hospital to apply to the council for authorisation. Deprivation of Liberty is serious, and the care home or hospital should look into this quickly.

If you believe the person continues to be deprived of their liberty without authorisation, you can contact the council and ask us to investigate whether an unlawful deprivation of liberty is taking place. Call the Adult Social Care Helpdesk on 023 9268 0810.