Generic filters

Supporting elderly and vulnerable residents in Portsmouth

Adult Social Care in Portsmouth helps support elderly and vulnerable residents. The services below are available to adults (18+) living in postcodes between PO1 and PO6.

Top tasks

What help can I get?

Adult Social Care has many different ways of supporting people in Portsmouth. Below is a list of services that we may be able to offer you or a family member to help their daily living.

  • Care at home – We may be able to arrange care visits for you. To do this, you will need to be assessed by one of our team to see what help you would benefit from. Depending on your finances, we may also be able to help fund your care.
  • Moving to a care home – We may be able to support moving you into a residential or nursing home. To do this, you will need to be assessed by one of our team to see if you are no longer able to be supported at home. Depending on your finances, we may also be able to help fund your stay in a care home.
  • Equipment at home – We can provide some equipment to support you around your home. This includes mobility aids (such as handrails and raised toilet seats), sensory aids (for people with sight or hearing loss) and personal alarms.
  • Support for carers – The Portsmouth Carers Centre can give advice and support to people caring for a loved one.
  • Help for lonely and isolated adults – The Independence and Wellbeing Team offer many different services to help people who feel lonely to access the community.
  • Shared Lives – Shared Lives is a unique service managed by Portsmouth City Council for adults who may need a bit of extra help because of a physical or learning disability or a mental health issue.
  • Short-Term Home Rehab – The Community Independence Service can provide short term support at home to increase your independence following a period of illness, injury or change in ability
  • Emergency care – Medical emergencies should always be dealt with by calling 999 or 111. If you need emergency care visits put in place (for example, if someone’s carer is in hospital), call the helpdesk on 023 9268 0810.
  • Safeguarding adults – Our safeguarding team helps to protect adults at risk of abuse.
  • Support for adults with learning disabilities – We have a separate team who can help support adults with learning disabilities.
  • Funded nursing care – If you or someone you care for is in a care home registered to provide nursing care, you may be entitled to a weekly payment called ‘funded nursing care’ (FNC).

How can I find other services in Portsmouth?

The Healthwatch Portsmouth website is a directory of all local health and social care services. This includes:

  • Care agencies
  • Community support groups
  • Disability services
  • Independent living services
  • Mental health services
  • Older people’s services
  • Voluntary services

Visit Healthwatch Portsmouth to find contact details for services near you.