Our environmental health team investigates accidents and complaints and also promotes health and safety in the workplace, including the welfare of employees and safeguarding of others (principally the public) who may be exposed to risks from work activities.
We are responsible for enforcement at over 6,000 business premises in the Portsmouth area, including warehouses, offices, shops, consumer services and residential care homes. The primary responsibility for ensuring health and safety in the workplace lies with those who create the risk – employers in particular need to make suitable and sufficient arrangements for managing health and safety.
Health and Safety enforcement in the United Kingdom is currently split between Local Authorities and the Health and Safety Executive.
The environmental health business support team also:
- Registers and inspects all businesses engaged in cosmetic treatments such as tattooing, acupuncture, ear-piercing, electrolysis, and hairdressing. Visit the tattoo rating scheme page to apply to register as a provider of these services, or for further information – or send enquiries to email@example.com.
- Keeps a register of wet cooling towers and evaporative condensers within the city, to assist inspectors in investigating outbreaks of legionella when there are two or more related cases.
- Investigates cases of legionella in partnership with the NHS, Public Health England and the Health and Safety Executive.
For much more advice, visit the Health and Safety Executive website, or follow the below links for specific information.
Use the links at the bottom of the page to register a cooling tower or a business conducting acupuncture, piercing, tattooing or electrolysis.
Useful links to the Health and Safety Executive
- Report an accident or dangerous occurrence (business or employees only)
- Report a complaint about workplace health and safety
Information and guidance
- Cooling towers and legionella
- Hazardous substances – control of substances hazardous to health
- Pressure systems – the law on pressure systems including coffee machines
- Sunbeds – The law on sunbeds
- Tattooing and cosmetic piercing
- Temperature – Maximum and minimum workplace temperatures
- Toilets – How many toilets a workplace should have