Our environmental health team is responsible for enforcing the wide range of legislation in the UK designed to protect the health and welfare of both domesticated and wild animals.
Animal health and welfare legislation is enforced jointly by local authorities and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), in association with other government bodies and independent organisations, like the RSPCA.
The environmental health business support team licenses and inspects:
- Horse riding establishments
- Dog breeding establishments
- Animal boarding establishments
- Exotic, dangerous or wild animals
- Pet shops
We also investigate:
- Incidents of illegal animal slaughter
- Illegal animal landings at Portsmouth port
- Outbreaks of animal-borne disease in partnership with Hampshire County Council’s Animal Health Team