Our Regulatory Services team is responsible for enforcing the wide range of legislation in the UK designed to protect the health and welfare of both domesticated and wild animals.
Animal health and welfare legislation is enforced jointly by local authorities and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), in association with other government bodies and independent organisations, like the RSPCA.
The environmental health business support team licenses and inspects:
- Animal boarding establishments – home and commercial
- Animal exhibits/performances
- Dog breeding establishments
- Exotic, dangerous or wild animals
- Horse riding establishments
- Pet shops
We also investigate:
- Illegal animal landings at Portsmouth port
- Incidents of illegal animal slaughter
- Outbreaks of animal-borne disease in partnership with Hampshire County Council’s Animal Health Team