Statutory nuisance laws do not cover smells from domestic premises.

In most cases, the cause of the problem can be resolved by politely telling the person about it. If after a reasonable amount of time you have seen no improvement you can make a complaint to us.

There are some instances where the cause of an odour can be addressed by the council, such as an accumulation of waste or dog mess. You can report this to the private sector housing team by completing an online form. You can also call 023 9268 8369 or email

Sometimes enforcement by the local authority is not the best approach. If you believe the cause of an unpleasant odour is due to a person’s self-neglect or excessive hoarding, please contact our Adult Social Care team.  ­