Search
Generic filters

Portsmouth Climate Action Board

21st January 2020 University of Portsmouth

Minutes

Chair:
Professor Steve Fletcher (SF)

Attendees:
Councillor Dave Ashmore (DA) – Portsmouth City Council
Jerry Clarke (JC) (representing Mike Sellers) – Portsmouth International Port
Megan Howson (MH) – Friends of the Earth
Kelly Nash (KN) – PCC – Strategy
Stef Nientowalski (SN) – Shaping Portsmouth
Stephanie Lasalle (SL) – University of Portsmouth
David Penny (DP) – Portsmouth Naval Base
Ryan Rosenbrock (RR) – Portsmouth Hospitals Trust
Nick Sebley (NS) – Extinction Rebellion
Tristan Thorn (TT) – Portsmouth City Council (Minutes)
Dominique LeTouze (DL) – PCC Public Health
Hayley Turner-McIntyre (HTM) – University of Portsmouth Students’ Union
Pam Turton (PT) – PCC Transport
Daniel Young (DY) – PCC Planning

Apologies:
Steve Labedz – Portsmouth Education Partnership
John A’Court – Portsmouth Hospitals Trust
Mike Sellers – Portsmouth International Port
Carole Damper – Portsmouth HIVE
Andrew Waggott – PCC Energy Services
Alison Cordwell – The You Trust
Jim Barker – Portsmouth Water

Introductions

1.1 SF welcomed the attendees to the meeting and outlined that the board will now move beyond deliberation and onto proactive action.

Red Brick Public Survey on Climate and Sustainability in Portsmouth

2.1 The presentation provided details of the public attitudes in Portsmouth towards climate change and climate actions. Observations included resident’s confusion over what could, or could not, be recycled.

Conclusions

2.2 It was widely discussed that the Board will need to expand its messaging and address personal responsibility while ensuring that employers, organisations and the Council facilitate climate actions.

2.3 It was noted that issues like fast fashion and aviation use were outside of the Board’s immediate influence. Therefore lobbying and information campaigns would need to be enacted for these wider societal climate issues.

Actions

TT to email presentation slides to all board members

Strategy Plan

3.1 Two questions were asked by SF to be resolved by the board:

  • 1) What is the overarching target for the city?
  • 2) What steps will we take to bring the city to this target?

3.2 SF outlined the target, which was proposed by the strategy subgroup, for Portsmouth to become carbon net-zero by 2030. This was decided because it matches the majority of other organisations and cities; it is also sufficiently ambitious relative to other cities and organisations.

3.3 JC and SN questioned the achievability of the target and emphasised that offsetting should only be used as a last resort. The board widely agreed that we cannot rely on offsetting to achieve our target.

3.4 SF expanded on the target stating that an external body, like the Carbon Trust, will be used to identify the city’s baseline emissions. The pathways we can pursue to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2030 will then be outlined. These pathways will be presented to a citizens’ assembly to consider which pathway is reasonable and achievable. The citizens’ assembly will therefore influence our final target, this could be by pulling the target date earlier or pushing it back later.

3.5 KN stated that all board members will need to be comfortable with the board’s target, and the extent to which their organisations are willing and able to pursue this target.

3.6 KN suggested the board should work on increasing climate literacy in the city. This will ensure the views of the citizens’ assembly are close to those of the city’s residents.

3.7 NS agreed that the Board should conduct awareness campaigns while the citizens’ assembly is being setup. PT also suggested that the Board can get involved in existing campaigns to become more recognised in the community.

3.8 DY suggested that the Board specify the scopes (GHG Protocol Scopes) it wanted to audit and address. NS responded that the Carbon Trust can provide estimates for scope 3, however the board should focus on areas it can influence.

3.9 SF moved onto the requirement of funding for the board to progress the strategy; all board members are expected to contribute some money. The approximate total funding amount for the carbon audit and citizens’ assembly will be £100,000.

3.10 SN recommended that the board use a crowed funding initiative to raise additional funds. For instance PCC has a fund matching scheme which Shaping can assist the board in applying for.

3.11 SN also asked where the money for the Board will be held. KN suggested PCC could act as an accountable body for the Board; however this will come with terms on procurement rules.

Conclusions

3.12 The Board’s target is for Portsmouth to become carbon net-zero by 2030.

3.13 A carbon audit will be held to determine the future pathways to achieve this target.

3.14 The target will then be further refined by the citizens’ assembly.

Actions

3.15 TT to distribute a final paper confirming the Board’s strategy and target.

3.16 SF to confirm and request funding from each board member.

Event Plan

4.1 SF stated that a series of community based events will be held across wards and thematic/faith based groups. These will be held in April and assist in building climate literacy.

4.2 SN and KN noted that this will be during purdah so PCC cannot provide a platform for councillors. PCC will also be constricted in the amount of support it will be able to offer.

4.3 SF announced that a launch event, looking primarily at the business community in Portsmouth, will be held at the Shaping Portsmouth Business Leaders event on 25th March.

4.4 During mid-March the Board will be holding a public event that anyone is welcome to attend. This will be used to showcase constructive climate work which will encourage positive action; as opposed to negativity and criticising people for inaction.

4.5 A science based event will be held with a focus on actionable research. Regional universities and academics will be invited, however there will be an aim to present to members of the public also.

Conclusions

4.6 A business focused launch event will be held on 25th March at the Shaping Business Leaders event.

4.7 In mid-March an open public event will be held to showcase positive climate work.

4.8 A science based event will be held by the university to focus on academia and research needs.

Actions

4.9 The event subgroup will prepare a 45 minute presentation for the business launch event.

4.10 SF and the event subgroup will progress on organising a public event and science based event.

Identity Plan

5.1 SF announced that the competition for the logo design has now been launched on The News website. This will raise awareness for the Board and engage the community. Interested members of the board will judge the entries; this will include expertise offered by a professional designer.

5.2 NS has been working with The News to develop a campaign on climate change over the year. This will include highlighting what climate actions local businesses and PCC are doing, or not doing.

5.3 SF called on board members to recommit to the subgroups (for instance sending a replacement representative if you are not able to attend a meeting). The subgroups will provide guidance and direction for action based tasks.

5.4 SN offered the support of the Shaping network to provide specific expertise, including marketing, to assist subgroups. This included an offer to allocate part of the Shaping website to the Climate Action Board.

5.5 KN suggested that the Board should also look at taking more immediate action or assisting with a campaign that is already in progress. DY agreed that the Board should also tailor its message for specific communities and groups.

Conclusions

5.6 The competition for the logo has been launched, the winner will be decided by interested board members.

5.7 Board members are asked to recommit to subgroups and clarify what times they are able to attend meetings, or send someone in their place.

5.8 Shaping Portsmouth will provide a webpage for the Climate Action Board.

Actions

5.9 Interested board members, led by the identity subgroup, will select the winning logo for the Board once the competition closes on 10th February.

5.10 TT to organise the next subgroup meetings.

5.11 TT to work with Shaping Portsmouth to provide content for the Board website.

Any Other Business

6.1 SF made clear that the final decision on the carbon audit will be returned to the board to decide.

6.2 JC recommended working with Hampshire Constabulary, or the appropriate authority, to ensure that laws regarding air quality and the climate are respected. (For instance prosecuting those that idle their engines, over take cyclists too closely or fail to give way to pedestrian at crossings).

6.3 JC suggested that the Board enable the Chair to make decisions at speed to ensure we continue to make progress.

Conclusions

6.4 Decisions will be made at the board meetings while the details of the strategy will be worked on by the subgroups.

6.5 Some decisions will need to be made at pace, therefore an email will be sent to all board members for approval of a decision. If no objections are raised then the decision will be passed.

Actions

6.6 TT and the board to look into how we can encourage enforcement of climate damaging laws.