Where planning permission is granted for development by way of a general consent, the developer or landowner should submit a Form 5: Notice of Chargeable Development. Examples of general consent include permitted development and prior approval.

The form should be submitted prior to commencement of development. This is unless:

  • the development is less than 100 square metres (and does not comprise one or more dwellings),
  • the development benefits from exemption for residential extensions or
  • the chargeable amount for the development is zero.

The completed form should be accompanied by:

  • a) A plan which identifies the relevant land, buildings in use on that land and any of those buildings which are to be demolished;
  • b) Photographic evidence of buildings in use on the relevant land;
  • c) A plan which identifies the chargeable development;

We may request any other plans, drawings and information necessary to describe any buildings in use on the relevant land and the chargeable development. Any plans or drawings required must be drawn to an identified scale. In the case of plans, these need to show the direction of north.

If you are unsure if your development is CIL liable please contact us at CIL@portsmouthcc.gov.uk and we will be able to advise further.

More details can be found in the government guidance.

More information

Further information can be found on the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) homepage.