In December 2021 and January 2022 we conducted a survey to help us understand more about houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) in Portsmouth. We asked anyone who lives an HMO, owns or manages an HMO, or those part of the wider community to share their experiences.
What is an HMO?
A property is an HMO if:
- at least three tenants live there
- those tenants form more than one household
- and facilities like bathrooms and kitchens are shared with other tenants.
How people took part
People were able to:
- Complete an online survey.
- Visit a library or community centre to pick up a paper copy of the survey.
- Call our consultation line on 023 9261 6708 to complete the survey or request a paper copy.
We also hosted drop-in sessions across the city:
- North End Library, Gladys Avenue, PO2 9AX – 10am to 12pm on Wednesday 12 January
- Civic Offices, Guildhall Square, PO1 2AL – 2pm to 4pm on Wednesday 12 January
- Cosham Library, Spur Road, PO6 3EB – 10am to 12pm on Thursday 13 January
- Southsea Library, 19-21 Palmerston Road, PO5 3QQ – 10am to 2pm on Friday 14 January
There will be safety measures in place for drop-in events to help reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. If you’d like to attend a drop-in event please wear a face covering where required and clean your hands regularly. We’re also encouraging attendees to use at home rapid tests in line with the latest government guidance. Please do not attend if you have symptoms of coronavirus, no matter how mild.
What happens next
We will use the feedback from this survey to inform activity in the future. We’ll publish findings here as soon as possible.