Portsmouth City Council is a registered Data Controller (Registration Number Z5578313). Portsmouth City Council aims to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information in accordance with data protection law. This privacy notice tells you about how Portsmouth City Council collects and uses personal information.
What information do we collect?
Portsmouth City Council collects the names, addresses, dates of birth and contact information in the form of telephone numbers and email addresses from you as a customer or contractors. We may also collect other personal information about your family, your mental and physical health, financial circumstances and housing and social care needs when relevant. We keep copies of letters and records of telephone calls along with information we receive about you from other people, for example your doctor.
Why do we collect your information?
Portsmouth City Council uses personal information to:
- Deliver Services
- Facilitate and Oversee works in privately rented properties and owner occupied properties across the city.
- Assist in Service development.
- Offer support and access to services.
- Enable funding and payment for works in privately owned or rented properties.
- To ensure that we met the conditions of government run schemes
- Manage licences.
- Encourage community engagement to understand any local issues and work with the community to find a solution.
- To ensure satisfactory student accommodation across the city.
- Manage the Mobile home sites across the city.
How do we use your information?
Portsmouth City Council uses personal information to:
- Ensure that we can contact when it is necessary to do so.
- Allow you to apply for grants and pay for services when you need to do so.
- Take appropriate enforcement action when property conditions are below that of the expected standard.
- Let you know if the terms of a license that you hold with us changing, including a change to the amount that you need to pay.
- To provide information to third parties as required by legislation, i.e. Public Register for HMO licences.
- Work with registered builders to ensure that properties are maintained to an appropriate standard.
- Keep records, including photos, to ensure that all standards are maintained once works have been carried out.
- Provide access to our telecare service to ensure that the correct support is available to you.
- Maintain housing standards in privately owned properties across the city.
How do we keep personal information secure?
Portsmouth City Council ensures that your personal data is kept secure through the use of technical security measures for all our IT systems. We ensure that only employees who should have access to personal data can do so and this is managed through comprehensive training, regular checks and validation. Anyone that processes personal data on our behalf, such as repairs contractors, are governed by specific contracts to ensure that they do so securely and only for the purposes set out by Portsmouth City Council.
How long do we keep hold of personal information?
Records will not be kept for longer than necessary. Full information regarding retention periods for the different types of data can be found on our corporate retention schedule.
Access to personal information
You have the right to know if Portsmouth City Council holds any personal information relating to you. You can do this by making a ‘Subject Access Request’ using the information in the ‘How to contact us’ section or by going to the Freedom of Information page.
You will usually be entitled to see all of the data held about you but may not be entitled to see confidential information about other people.
Access to CCTV images
CCTV images that are stored and catalogued may be accessed by individuals by following the procedure above to make a ‘Subject Access Request’. Portsmouth City Council may not record CCTV at all locations with CCTV signage and not all CCTV cameras will be operational at all hours of the week. Individuals may not be able to see visual images that contain other identifiable individuals or are considered confidential under law e.g. if they are required for the prevention or identification of a crime.
Sharing or disclosing personal information
There may be times when we need to share your information with other people. We will only do this if you have either given your explicit consent or where the law allows or requires us to. This could be in an emergency where there is a safeguarding concern or life threatening situation or for the purposes of preventing or detecting crime or fraud or apprehending and prosecuting offenders where we have a statutory duty to do so.
We will only share appropriate information about you with your family or carers and usually only where you have given specific permission to do so. We may withhold information where it places any individual at risk.
We will share personal data with other organisations such as mortgage providers where the law allows us to do so.
We will only share with each person or organisation the details they need in order to provide their services or support to you or perform their statutory duty.
Complaints or queries
If you have a complaint or query about how we collect and use personal information, if you would like a change to be made to your record or want to object to processing of your information, please contact us using the information in the ‘How to contact us’ section below.
If you would like to make a complaint or are not satisfied with the responses you have received from us after making a request, please contact:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (if you prefer to use a national rate number).
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice was last updated on 14th May 2018.
How to contact us
Data Protection Officer,
Customer, Community & Democratic Service,
Portsmouth City Council
Telephone: 023 9282 2251