To oversee the development of the scrutiny function and have overall responsibility for setting and monitoring standards for scrutiny.
6.1.1 Work Programme
- To have overall management responsibility for the work programmes of the themed scrutiny panels including:
- Identification of topics that could be the subject of scrutiny enquiries in consultation with themed panels, partners and the public in order to prioritise and manage workloads and ensure that review topics are chosen that reflect the city’s priorities and are focused on improvement.
- outputs from themed scrutiny panels
- monitoring of implementation of recommendations arising from completed scrutiny reviews
6.1.2 Hold Cabinet to Account
- To review and scrutinise decisions made by and performance of the Cabinet and to monitor the forward plan
- To question members of the Cabinet and chief officers about their decisions and performance
6.1.3 Review of topics, policy and performance
- To review specific topic areas that fall within the panel’s remit and make reports and/or recommendations to the Cabinet in connection with the discharge of any functions
- To review and monitor the policies of the city council on corporate, economic and financial plans and programmes, including the revenue estimates and capital programme
- To review and scrutinise the performance of the council in relation to its policy objectives and performance targets as referred from Governance & Audit & Standards Committee
- To consider and allocate reports on performance issues, which are outside the remit of the Governance & Audit & Standards Committee to the appropriate scrutiny panel.
- To consider and advise the Council on reports issued in respect of council services by statutory agencies.
- To review specific topic areas that fall within the Panel’s remit and make reports and/or recommendations to the Cabinet in connection with the discharge of any functions.
6.1.4 Call In and councillor call for action
- To exercise the right to call-in decisions made but not yet implemented, for reconsideration and consider decisions that have been called-in for examination at the request of members.
- To have responsibility for formally responding to the councillor call for action
6.1.5 Partnership working and public involvement
- To liaise with partners and external organisations as appropriate
- To ensure public participation in scrutiny
- To submit an annual report to Scrutiny Management Panel on the work of the scrutiny panels
- It is proposed that meetings between the chair of the Scrutiny Management Panel and the Leader should take place every three months.