The Lord Mayor and the Deputy Lord Mayor of the city council will be elected by the council at the annual meeting.
5.1. Election of the Lord Mayor and Deputy Lord Mayor
5.2. The Lord Mayor, and in their absence the Deputy Lord Mayor, will have the following roles and functions:
1) Chairing the council meeting
The Lord Mayor will preside over council meetings and ensure that they are conducted in accordance with the standing orders.
2) Additional responsibilities
To ensure that the council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community and the place at which members, especially those who are not on the Cabinet or who do not hold committee chairs, are able to hold the Cabinet Members and committee chairs to account.
- To promote public involvement in the council’s activities.
- To represent the city on civic, social, ceremonial and similar occasions.
- To uphold the Constitution.
- Not to convene meetings of a policy or political nature unless requested by the Leader of the council or the Cabinet or the council.
- Not to make public statements affecting matters of policy unless they have been approved by the Leader of the council or the Cabinet or the council.