As the country moved to Step 4 on 19 July 2021, the government issued new advice for schools which parents and carers may also find useful as guidance during the summer months and in preparation for the return to school in the Autumn term.
Implications of Step 4 for schools
Free school meals
Families of children attending Portsmouth schools who are eligible for benefits-related free school meals should have received food vouchers for £15 per school-age child, to use during the summer holidays.
Possible coronavirus symptoms
The Wessex Healthier Together website has useful information for parents if you are worried that your child has coronavirus or another illness and you are not sure what to do.
You must get a test if you or anyone in your household has:
- a high temperature (chest or back hot to touch)
- a new, continuous cough or
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
Find out more information about how to self-isolate, what you can and can’t do and what local support is available in our protect Portsmouth self-isolation guide.
You can find the latest NHS information and advice on the NHS website.
Helpful information and support
Here are some other helpful sources of information and places you can find support:
- Portsmouth Parent Voice has support for parent carers of young people with additional needs and disabilities.
- Portsmouth Local Offer provides information about support and services available in our local area for children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs or a disability.
- The Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health has prepared a video and information to help deal with anxiety when returning to school.
- Portsmouth Education Partnership has an overview of the coronavirus support available to children, families and schools.
- Ethnic Minority Achievement Service (EMAS) has a team of bilingual learning assistants who can be used to help reach families whose first language isn’t English with back to school information.
- Wessex Healthier Together has useful information for parents if you are worried that your child has coronavirus or another illness and you are not sure what to do.
- Mental health support for young people on this page you will find information and guidance for young people who need help and support for their mental health and wellbeing.
- Mental health support for parents and carers on this page you will find information and guidance for parents and carers who need help and support for their mental health and wellbeing.
- Bereavement support HIVE Portsmouth have a bereavement directory on their website.