Collections for large household items restarted on a restricted service on Tuesday 21 July 2020. There is a limited number of collections every Tuesday for both the paid-for service and free service.
- Items must be left outside for collection, either in a forecourt, driveway or front garden with no further contact for 72 hours (3 days) before the collection date.
- Please ensure soft furnishings (e.g. sofas and mattresses)are protected from the elements and they need to be left outside for 3 days. If they are too heavy to lift, they will not be collected.
- If you live in a flat-fronted property or cannot safely leave items for collection outside for 72 hours, this includes residents in blocks of flats, then no ‘soft-furnishing’ items, e.g. mattresses or sofas, will be collected due to the added risk of contamination. Only hard surfaced items, e.g. cupboards, fridges, tables etc., can be collected and these must be wiped down with disinfectant on the day of collection by 7am. They must not be put on to the highway until that day.
- Council staff and collection operatives will not enter properties to collect the items or help move items.
- Only the items listed for collection at the time of booking will be taken.
- A maximum of 3 cubic metres will be taken on each collection e.g. a three-piece sofa suite or a washing machine, a fridge (excluding American-style fridges) and an armchair.
- The cost of a collection starts from £30 (payable in advance) and collections are every Tuesday. If you wish to cancel your collection, please contact us before lunchtime the day before your scheduled collection day for a full refund. Contacting us later than this may result in no refund or a part-refund.
If you are a Portsmouth resident in receipt of Council Tax Support (CTS), you can get one free collection per year. To qualify, you will need to provide proof that you get Council Tax Support either by showing us your award letter or by giving us permission to check your records online.
For free collections, we will only take a maximum of two cubic metres away for free – this is roughly the size of a two-seater sofa or a washing machine and an armchair. For collections of more than two cubic metres, there will be an additional charge and payment will be asked for at the time of booking.
To get an estimate, quotation or to book a paid or free collection, call 023 9284 1105.
What can we take away?
- Sofas – only if they can be left outside with no further contact for 72 hours
- Beds – only if they can be left outside with no further contact for 72 hours
- Mattresses – only if they can be left outside with no further contact for 72 hours
- Fridges (these are charged at £30 each or £45 for an American-style fridge)
- Washing machine
- General household items and furniture
What can’t we take away?
- Building and DIY waste such as soil, rubble, tiles, concrete, bricks etc.
- Paint tins containing paint (paint tins must be empty)
- Gas canisters
- Car engines
- Garden waste
- Fluorescent lighting tubes
- Commercial or trade waste
- Ceramic sanitary ware – sink basins, pedestals, bidets and toilet cisterns
- Anything longer than 6ft
- Anything too heavy for two people to lift safely such as a piano, waterlogged mattresses and sofas