Generic filters

Key services

  • Adult social care – services running as normal.
  • Parks, open spaces and outside leisure facilities – open with coronavirus restrictions in place. Find out more information.
  • Portsmouth Carers Centre – this service is currently supporting people remotely and on an appointment only basis.
  • Civic Offices – To protect our customers during the national lockdown, the Civic Offices will be temporarily closed for cash payments from Monday, 11 January. Payments can be made online; you can also call our payments line on 0800 876 6576. If you usually pay in cash and you are concerned about making a payment, please call us on 023 9284 1622 so we can help.
  • Community centres – Community centres run by the council (Cosham Community Centre, Paulsgrove Community Centre, Charles Dickens Activity Centre and Somerstown Community Centre) are only permitted to be open to groups that fall within the government exemptions, for example education groups, support groups and the NHS blood donation service. From 12 April we can welcome back supervised children and young people activities.  Groups sizes are limited to 15 (under 5s are not included).
  • Council Tax – can be paid online or by phone. View further advice on Council Tax.
  • Dog kennels– the kennels are operating fully at their usual opening times, please see the kennels webpage for more details. Social distancing guidance is still in place.
  • Family Hubs – closed for drop-in but available by appointment. Some limited socially distanced group work continues. More information and contact details on Family Hubs.
  • Housing Needs, Advice & Support services– Services, including support for those that are homeless, at threat of homelessness or rough sleepers, are running, and can be contacted by phone or email.  Appointments for in-person meetings at the Civic Offices can be arranged from 12 April through the Housing Needs, Advice & Support team.  Please call us on 023 9283 4989 to arrange
  • Housing offices– Services to tenants in local authority housing remain in operation and can be contacted by phone or email. Payments can be made online; you can also call our payments line on 0800 876 6576. All housing offices will be open for services from 12 April for those that need to come into the offices.  There will be restrictions on the number of people that can be seen at any time so it is recommended that tenants call the housing office in advance.   Appointments for in-person meetings can be arranged by tenants contacting their Housing Officer. Contact details for your local housing office can be found on our ‘contact us’ page.
  • Kickstart – service running as normal to support employers apply for Kickstart placements. Email
  • Libraries – will be open from Monday 12 April. This includes click and collect and access to public computers.  You can find more information on our library information page.
  • Licensing – the licensing office is open by appointment only. Find out what safety measures are in place and how to book an appointment on our licensing page.
  • Parking – all parking restrictions in Portsmouth continue to be enforced. Resident parking zones are operational and there is a charge for parking in Council car parks and on-street parking. Parking permits will not be available to collect from libraries – customers should use RingGo instead.
  • Planning applications – are now being processed. View information on temporary changes.
  • Port Solent Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) – open 9am-6pm, you must book an appointment
  • Recycling and rubbish collections – running as normal. View details on the full list of services.
  • Register office – open by appointment. View further information.
  • Schools – most children returned to face-to-face learning on Monday 8 March 2021.  Find more on our school pages.
  • The Learning Place – temporarily closed to the public but operating remotely. All enquiries will be responded to and courses are running remotely for those that can access. Call 023 9262 1860 or email for more information.
  • Unemployment Support – Support for individuals who are seeking work is being offered remotely. Email for more information.
  • Youth clubs and adventure playgrounds  – Contact your local youth club or adventure playground to find out how to access support. You can find contact details on the PYC Portsmouth – Play Youth Community website.

Services that are not running

All services not listed are operating.