Following extensive trials, we have safe and effective vaccines for COVID-19 now available. Getting vaccinated is the best way to protect people from coronavirus and will save thousands of lives.
The Covid-19 vaccination programme is the biggest in NHS history.
The NHS is currently offering the COVID-19 vaccine to people most at risk from coronavirus. The vaccine is being offered in some hospitals and pharmacies, at local vaccination centres run by GPs and at larger vaccination centres. More centres are opening all the time.
It’s being given to:
- people aged 45 and over
- people who are at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable)
- people who live or work in care homes
- health and social care workers
- people with a condition that puts them at higher risk (clinically vulnerable)
- people who are a main carer for someone at high risk from coronavirus
- people with a learning disability
The vaccine will be offered more widely as soon as possible.
The order in which people will be offered the vaccine is based on advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI).
NHS staff are doing an incredible job to deliver the vaccine while at the same time continuing to be there for everyone who needs care.
Here’s how we can help them:
- Make sure you are registered with a GP practice and that they have your contact details. You can update your details through your GP’s website.
- Wait for the NHS to contact you to get the vaccine. Only contact the NHS to book an appointment if you are aged 45 or over, are clinically vulnerable or clinically extremely vulnerable, are an eligible frontline health or social care worker or are the main carer for someone at high risk from coronavirus or have a learning disability and haven’t had your first dose. Visit the NHS website to book or call 119 if you can’t get online.
- Please attend your booked appointments at the time you’re asked to.
- Please continue to follow all the guidance in place to control the virus and save lives, even if you’ve already had your vaccine.
The COVID-19 vaccine is free of charge on the NHS and they’ll never ask for your bank account or card details.