Generic filters

Find out how to ask for a coronavirus test

Anyone with symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, new continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste) can ask for a test to check if they have the virus, including children. You should do this immediately and shouldn’t leave home except to get tested. Visit the NHS website to find out how to ask for a test.

If you, or someone you live with, is recognised as an essential worker you should go through the government website to ask for a test. Anyone living with an essential worker can also request a test through the government website.

There are home testing kits available and a regional testing site. There is a walk-through site at the Eldon car park at the University of Portsmouth. This site is run by the Department of Health and Social Care. Portsmouth City Council, local NHS organisations and the University are not involved in the operation of the site. You can only visit the site if you’ve booked a test through the NHS website.

If you test positive for coronavirus you will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace to help identify people you’ve been in close contact with. Find out more on the NHS website. You can also find information on the NHS website about what to do if you’re contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service as you’ve been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for coronavirus.