If you have already applied for and received a grant under this scheme for the period 5 November 2020 – 4 January 2021 and you continue to hold a valid license then you will receive an email which you will need to reply to. You will not need to complete a new application form.
If you have not previously applied please see below for the new application process.
We recognise that many of the taxi and private hire drivers within the city have suffered loss of income due to wider COVID-19 restrictions impacting their trade.
As a direct result of this we have decided to use funding received through the Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) to provide a flat payment of £400 to currently licensed self employed Portsmouth taxi and private hire drivers. This is for each 28 day period (or pro-rata) when tier 4 and national lockdown restrictions have been applicable from 5 November 2020 to 31 March 2021 subject to certain conditions.
This scheme is designed to help support taxi and private hire drivers with their unavoidable fixed business costs. This scheme cannot be designed to be a substitute for wages, as support for wage costs can be gained through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS).
To apply, you must be a self-employed taxi or private hire driver who meets all of the following:
- hold a valid Private Hire or Hackney Carriage Driver’s licence issued by Portsmouth City Council for the restriction period you are applying for
- be working as a taxi driver or private hire driver up to and including 4 November 2020
- be working predominantly from and in Portsmouth
- not have already been in receipt of a COVID-19 Local Restriction Support Grant or Additional Restrictions Grant made available from this or any other council
The following taxi drivers are not eligible to apply:
- Taxi drivers that do not have a current valid licence issued by Portsmouth City Council
- Drivers that have used their vehicles to earn other sources of income (eg. Take away deliveries) and as a result have not seen a drop in their income of at least 33% compared to the previous years comparative period
- Former taxi drivers who are no longer operating
- Individuals or businesses which hold vehicle licences but do not hold a Private Hire / Hackney Carriage licence as a driver. If you are in this category you should instead apply under the main Additional Restrictions Grant scheme that can be found here
What you will get
We will award a grant of £400 per eligible licensee for each 28 day period (or pro-rata) when tier 4 and national lockdown restrictions have been applicable between 5 November 2020 to 31 March 2021. Therefore the grant available for this period is £1,872.
Please note If your monthly fixed costs relating to your taxi driver business exceed £267 per month and you can provide detailed evidence to support the income you earn by month, then you may be eligible for a grant of more than £400 (for a 28 day restriction period) and should instead apply under the main ARG scheme.
What you need to apply
If you have already applied and received a grant under this scheme for the period 5 November 2020 – 4 January 2021 then you will receive an email which you will need to reply to as detailed within it. You will not need to complete a new application form.
If you have not previously applied or received a grant under this scheme, in order to be able to complete the application form you must be able to provide the following:
Your Hackney Carriage/Private hire driver licence number
- it can be located on your badge
Bank details of the account you use for your business
- This must be the account used for the business (please note no payments will be made into a third party bank account)
Your taxi vehicle registration number (number plate)
- This should be the registration number of the car you usually drive for taxi driving / Private Hire driving
Your National Insurance number
Documents you need to upload in the application
1 x bank account statement (This must be dated within the last 2 months).
A pdf, scan, photo, or screenshot of your bank statement clearly showing:
- sort code, account number and name on the account
Failure to supply any of this information will delay your claim being assessed.
Payments will be limited to one per taxi driver per qualifying restriction period, regardless of whether both a Private Hire and Hackney Carriage licence are held.
This grant constitutes a grant under the UK’s Subsidy Control Regime and is being made in accordance with government’s Covid-19 Temporary Framework and/or any other subsequent Covid-19 related schemes set up by government to support businesses affected by Covid-19.
You will be asked to declare that you will not be exceeding subsidy allowance limits set out in the government’s Covid-19 business support schemes as part of your application.
Grant income received is taxable. Only businesses which make an overall profit once grant income is included will be subject to tax.
The council will use the information provided by you for the assessment of your application and to ensure our records are correct. We will check information provided in your application including the license number and National Insurance number with records held by Portsmouth City Council Licensing department. We will share the information with other government agencies as part of anti-fraud measures and for them to conduct follow up evaluation surveys of a sample of grant recipients. For more information about Data Protection, please see our Data Protection Policy (opens in a new window) webpage.
There is no right to appeal against discretionary decisions. The decision of the council is final.
The council will not accept deliberate manipulation and fraud. Any business caught falsifying their records to gain additional grant money will face prosecution. Any funding issued will be subject to claw back, as will any grants paid in error.
If you require assistance with your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org and the licensing team will help you with the process.