Applications for this payment are now closed
This grant became available to Portsmouth businesses from 2nd December when Portsmouth entered Tier 2, until we entered Tier 4 restrictions on 19 December 2020, when the Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) (Addendum) Tier 4 came into effect.
The ‘Closed’ scheme is only available to ratepayers where the Local Covid Alert Level is High or Very High.
When Tier 4 or National Lockdown restrictions are applied, the Closed scheme is replaced by the Closed Addendum Tier 4 scheme.
This scheme supports businesses that were open as usual, providing services in person to customers from their business premises, but which were then required by law to close as a result of local restrictions.
Pubs that do not serve substantial meals and are therefore required to close is an example of a business that may be eligible for this grant.
Initially covering the period of 2 December to 15 December 2020, a grant to cover each qualifying 14 day period will be paid to each eligible business. The grant amounts will be fixed.
Businesses with more than one qualifying property will receive more than one grant.
What you will get
- If your business is eligible and has a property with a rateable value of £15,000 or under, you will receive a cash grant of £667 per 14-day qualifying restriction period.
- If your business is eligible and has a property with a rateable value of above £15,000 and below £51,000, you will receive a cash grant of £1,000 per 14-day qualifying period.
- If your business is eligible and has a property with a rateable value of £51,000 or above, you will receive a cash grant of £1,500 per 14-day qualifying period.
Grants are based on the rateable value of the property on the first full day of the local restrictions.
Businesses that are eligible are those that have been required to close by Government as a result of local restrictions. In Tier 2 this typically refers to pubs and bars, unless they are operating as restaurants. This could also include businesses typically that operate primarily as an in-person venues, but which have been mandated to close those services and provide a takeaway-only or click and collect service instead.
Your business may be eligible if it:
- occupies property on which it pays business rates
- has been required to close because of local restrictions from 2 December 2020
- Will be closed for a minimum of 14 days
- has been unable to provide its usual in-person customer service from its premises
- businesses which are able to continue to operate during the restrictions because they do not depend on providing direct in-person services from their premises, or have not been mandated to close.
- businesses that have chosen to close, but have not been required to close by law as part of a local restrictions
- businesses that have reached the state aid limit / subsidy allowance limit
- businesses that are not the ratepayer
- businesses that are in administration, are insolvent or where a striking off notice has been made are not eligible for this scheme
Any changes to the rating list (rateable value or to the hereditament) after the first full day of local restrictions will be ignored for the purposes of eligibility.
Portsmouth City Council will not adjust, pay or recover grants where the rating list is subsequently amended retrospectively to the date that local restrictions began. In cases where it was factually clear to the Council on 2 December 2020 that the rating list was inaccurate on that date, the Council may withhold the grant and/or award the grant based on its view of who would have been entitled to the grant had the list been accurate. This is entirely at the discretion of Portsmouth City Council, and is only intended to prevent manifest errors. This discretion cannot and therefore will not be used if it was not factually clear to the Council on 2 December 2020 that the rating list was not accurate.